Reply To: Aptera Display Custom-mode?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Display Custom-mode? Reply To: Aptera Display Custom-mode?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Display Custom-mode? Reply To: Aptera Display Custom-mode?

• George Hughes

October 13, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Contrary to some respected posters, I would suggest the ability to provide alternate screen displays calling on the data collected by the vehicle in operation ought to be doable, if not encouraged.

The reason I suggest this is the case is because the UI is a digital display that can be easily modified and customized by those who are competent in using Crank software and while there may be some procedures that must be employed to get into the system – think of opening a “C:\” window in windows; the embrace by Aptera of the right to repair philosophy should make allowing such mods and customizations a no-brainer.

My expectation of this is the OS will be on a ROM chip that allows a full-factory restore if you screw up. I would think the robust nature of the CRANK overlay to linux may be on a separate ROM in standard configuration but the display characteristics, including the option to display what ever is available, would be a no-brainer under right to repair.

As far as Aptera is concerned, they can fulfill their obligation under right to repair by making the digital brain of the Aptera as easy to modify and program as a “PC” …

Aptera can then ask for those creating new looks to send them along (or make a special forum for owners to upload and download custom iterations, much like Invision Power Board makes a marketplace for the offer and sale of ‘skins’ for their forum software. (As I understand it, CRANK already offers an executable that will memic the display, although I’ve not seen one for Aptera … yet._)