Reply To: Emergency “Gas Can” for Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Emergency “Gas Can” for Aptera? Reply To: Emergency “Gas Can” for Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Emergency “Gas Can” for Aptera? Reply To: Emergency “Gas Can” for Aptera?

• Ray Holan

October 13, 2021 at 2:47 pm

I agree with you, Curtis. It doesn’t make much sense to me to carry around extra solar panels to provide extra charging power for an emergency — unless Aptera provides:

1) Input to connect MC4 or XT40 cables typical of portable and rooftop-sized solar panels

2) a solar charge controller capable of handling the extra juice of those panels, say 1,500 watts

Aptera has a solar charge controller as part of its standard electronics, but it is or will likely be sized to support only the full option of 700 watts we can order.

Having a power source like a Jackery or something similar with perhaps 2KWH+ capacity would allow you use a charging cable plugged into the 110V inverter of the Jackery and connect it to the standard grid charging port of the Aptera thereby charging the vehicle faster in an outlander scenario. That is, you could be getting charge from the built-in Aptera cells while you’re charging from your portable unit. I am assuming you might pack up the solar generator at home when it’s fully charged and take it along.

I know this gets a bit weird, but it is gratifying to have choices even if I myself might take a pass on actually using any of them;)