Reply To: Daymak’s Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Daymak’s Spiritus Reply To: Daymak’s Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Daymak’s Spiritus Reply To: Daymak’s Spiritus

• George Hughes

October 12, 2021 at 11:25 pm

My impression of the Daymak and/or Sondor is they are not going to be nearly as ‘safe’ as the Aptera; that being a major consideration on my part.

While I await the results of crash testing the beta vehicles for confirmation, I’m a lot more comfortable with the composite monocoque body and its inherent strength than I am with the welded steel tubular frame on the Daymak. The idea that an idiot could literally impact the rear drive wheel on the Sondors and over-ride into the back of whatever cabin it has, gives me the willies.

Said differently, the idea of a monocoque ‘formula one’ type passenger cabin vs. a space-framed steel car with a roll-cage does not appeal to me given the relative safety records of stock cars vs. F1 over the past three decades.

BTW: I don’t think bicycle – even E-bike makers – have anything in their culture that would lift safety to the levels I expect. And, you do have to know that ‘small cars’ literally have to be designed for safety … that being one of the aspects of the otherwise extremely small Smart car platform that has resulted in that production design (A really special passenger cocoon) that made it possible to sell over a one million cars in the past two decades.

The Daymak and Sondors doesn’t compete with the Aptera; they compete with the Polaris slingshot.