Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Jay Leno and Modern Aptera Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Jay Leno and Modern Aptera Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

• George Hughes

October 12, 2021 at 10:59 pm

I suspect that Steve and Chris were presented with ‘the opportunity’ … possibly out of the blue … and rolled the dice. Oh, and while we know that 95% of the cars in Leno’s garage are exotic ICE vehicles that made it to production. I get the impression he’s not terribly interested in driving an “Alpha” level prototype and I feel his impression was what he saw and drove – and I think he’s the first ‘outside’ reviewer to drive it – was a mediocre ‘kit car’ that, from his experience meant it may even have had a Miata frame under it.

Leno also seemed confused by the Aptera’s market. He couldn’t grasp that it is designed as a handy, efficient, commuter vehicle not a high-end exotic ‘attention getting’ car. He just doesn’t grasp that the Aptera looks the way it does because it literally has to look that way in homage to the first principle of efficiency. I think it was about that point in the video that Leno made his nose-picking comment.

We also don’t know how much difficulty he had getting his ‘hefty frame’ into the car or any other interactions between Leno, Steve and Chris. (I would like to see a full-motion video clip of either Steve or Chris actually getting into and out of either Luna or Noir. Both, and for that matter Leno, would be representative of larger people that might have an issue. That said, I’m willing to reserve judgement until one of the beta versions, with the expanded cabin, are available.)

I also think it of use to those of us who encourage bringing the Aptera to market. What this experience tells us is we need to be patient. One thing I picked up from the demonstration was that it sounds like the production engineering process may be able to truncate the time needed to get to production by leaping from the beta directly to the ready for production delta vehicles.

I suspect that is why the beta versions – a production run of a dozen or so vehicles – seems to be lagging.