Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Jay Leno and Modern Aptera Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Jay Leno and Modern Aptera Reply To: Jay Leno and Modern Aptera

• Joshua Rosen

October 12, 2021 at 11:01 am

The one thing that worried me was that only 120V charging was mentioned, they have J1772 on the vehicle but no mention of the charging rate in the FAQ. It’s important that you be able to fully charge the car overnight. My use case for the car is long day trips, for example last weekend we went to Maine which was a 400 mile round trip. I have the 600 mile version reserved which can do that trip with no DC charge stops, however when I get home I’ll need to put 40KWh into it. You can’t do that with Level I, with a 32A level 2 EVSE you can do that in 5.5 hours which would be fine.

I don’t get why they would think that installing an EVSE is a big deal, it’s not. The cost is about the same as the paint option on a Tesla. I have two, a ClipperCreek that I installed when I got the Volt and a Tesla which I installed when I got the Model 3. The ClipperCreek is on a 40A line, my electrician charged me $375 to run that line and hook up the EVSE. The Tesla is on a 60A line, that cost me $750 to run the line and install the EVSE. That’s no big deal compared to the cost of a new car so why pretend that it is.