Reply To: Has Aptera considered a low tech option due to chip shortage?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Has Aptera considered a low tech option due to chip shortage? Reply To: Has Aptera considered a low tech option due to chip shortage?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Has Aptera considered a low tech option due to chip shortage? Reply To: Has Aptera considered a low tech option due to chip shortage?

• John Malcom

October 9, 2021 at 7:29 pm

It is correct that supply chain issues affect much more than just computer chips. It is not correct that only “Older” chips (I am not sure what that means) are in short supply. The major EV makers, GM, Tesla, etc. are short the type of chips needed for the most recent R&D products and in some cases those needed for R&D itself. Tesla had the foresight to forecast this shortage and prepared for it. Even that preparation is now falling short and causing late deliveries and price increases.

If you believe that BS from Intel, I have a bridge in NY or some land if FL I can sell you cheap. Would you expect Intel to admit they can’t meet the demand or forgo profit??? Much easier to blame it on someone else. Besides, Intel provides many less chips to the auto industry that offshore producers you would not recognize the names of.

You can not “Dump” the technology engineered into vehicles and gracefully degrade to to less technology as you can with some computer applications. If less technology is needed or desired, you would need to reengineer nearly from scratch as most systems are now integrated. Mr. Bolinsky has highlighted more detail about the volume of chips needed in core functions.

Aptera is fortunate that the shortage does not affect their development efforts (Far fewer needed to build a few prototypes than many production vehicles)