Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery timeline Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery timeline Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

• Jesse Spears

October 6, 2021 at 4:45 pm

If things keep improving, I might drop down to a 600 mile range.

But at the moment, there just aren’t enough fast chargers in the right places for us.

Using Plugshare, and removing anything less than 50kw leaves huge holes in west Texas and New Mexico (doesn’t matter if it’s CCS or Tesla). Heck, Lubbock doesn’t have a single charger of that speed (there is 1(!) 25kw CCS charger at a Harley Davidson, and after that you’re down to a bunch of unverified L1 chargers and a few RV camp sites with NEMA plugs).

This car is intended to take over as our road trip car (currently we have my wife’s 2014 Prius for that, and I have a 2018 Leaf for my local driving). That means it needs to actually be able to drive 9+ hours a day at highways speeds (70-75 for most of Texas). I don’t mind stopping and charging, but without fast chargers, that means we’re done driving for the day when we stop.

Try entering in a trip from Austin, TX to Pagosa Springs, CO as an example of what I’m looking at. With 1000 miles range it’s a fairly straight trip with stops in Sweetwater, TX and Santa Rosa, NM (distance 845 miles, time 13h 57m). We’d stay the night in Santa Rosa (but there aren’t chargers at the hotels, just at the Love’s Truck Stop nearby).

At 600 mile range we’re up to 3 stops (and one of those stops is in Lubbock with only a single 25kw charger available, assuming it’s working and available when arrive). Distance 848, time 15h 34m.

At 400 mile range (simulated by using 600 mile range + 35% battery degradation), it’s 884 miles, 16h 48m, and 5 stops (one of which is a 54 minute stop at the hopefully working/free 25kw charger in Lubbock)

For comparison, using a Model 3 standard range increases the distance to 975 miles, and the time to 18h 44m with 8 charging stops.

There’s really just not good coverage, still, in large parts of the southwest (including most of rural Texas).