Reply To: Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera! Reply To: Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera! Reply To: Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

• Alain Chuzel

October 6, 2021 at 8:10 am

I’m as near certain the cells are SunPower/Maxeon as I can be. The metallization pattern Mr. Anthony shows later in the video is a dead giveaway.

I’m familiar with the “matte dark finish” too. It’s a common look for anti-reflective “treated” single crystal silicon cells. I’m thinking that’s what triggered the phrase “powdered”. To repeat, however, it’s not unique to the cells Aptera appears to be using.

Much of the matte dark finish goes away after encapsulation as you effectively described with the word “glossy”.

Finally, if it’s not too sacrilegious to disagree, ANY appropriately thin silicon wafer (single or multi-crystalline) can conform to Aptera’s curves. In this case, however, the one advantage of the SunPower/Maxeon is the distribution of the rear metallization. Modest cracks would, indeed, minimally affect power output in, at least, the short term.

Thanks for your input.