Reply To: Winter

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Winter Reply To: Winter

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Winter Reply To: Winter

• Bob Minor

October 5, 2021 at 3:39 pm

FWIW, Im In Chicago as well and have opted for the “Off Road” option. Like you all up north, Chicago is a brutal place for a automobile. I get the feeling that most EV’s are essentially designed for heat concerns rather than cold. There is video out there of the Elaphe motor being bench tested in just about every condition possible including sub freezing conditions with high moisture content. At least we know the motor will be fine.

The “wheel pants” will be sketchy in winter weather. In a Chicago winter, its quite common to have this 20lb block of frozen gray crud stuck to your wheel well after your drive into work. For a regular vehicle, you just kick it a couple of times and it falls off. There is reason for concern about the street slush freezing in the wheel skirting on the Aptera after your morning commute. I have no doubt that the wheel motor will break that bond, but I’m concerned about what else might give way when the wheel initially turns to break that ice bond. Im also concerned about frozen material rubbing on the tire causing wear.

<font face=”inherit”>We will just have to see. If its easy enough to remove, </font><font face=”inherit”> I’ll try to clean out the wheel pants after the road soils them😊 . </font>