Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

• John Malcom

October 3, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Joshua, I believe you are getting your Bolt battery information on the internet or from the general media. I had a consulting engagement with GM working on the warranty system and connection with engineering. I can assure you that there are a number of factors causing the fires in Bolt batteries to include the cooling system. You “Can’t always believe everything you read in the papers”. Don’t over simplify these kind of defects or rely on abstracted information from less than technical journalists as these are not single factor issues by any means.

I know you are a high performance computing expert so I am sure you are familiar with the the concept of weighted, complex factors and sub factors, that need to be considered and analyzed to determine the root cause of problems and the development of a systemic solutions for either computing system issues or complex engineering development and production issues. As a practicing Six Sigma MBB in engineering and production processes I have, in nearly 35 years of practice, never found a case where only a single factor caused a significant defect.

WRT to battery heat, I will refer you back to my post on battery operating temperatures. and suggest that you look at engineering design and testing data. My family (Son and daughter, both had Volts) Both had the often advertised failure of all of a sudden losing motive power. One was a software defect fixed by a software update. One was a battery defect fixed by replacing battery cells. They had between 60-70,000 miles on them at the time and were fixed under warranty. Of course they no longer own those vehicles. GM no longer makes or sells the Volt. as I am sure you are aware.

WRD to the Bolt. Most of the Bolt is made in Korea and assembled in the US by GM So GMs EV experience is only secondarily relavent. GM was not the first to develop or try to sell electric cars. Electric cars have been around since the late 1800s. Being the first does not predict you will have the best experience or technology to succeed long term in the market place. A computing example I am sure you are familiar with is Univac which really started the commercial computer business. How many Univac/Unisys computers are in the market today?

You and I often spar on this forum at great length taking up a lot of space. Let’s make a deal. We will to only post once for each topic and not counter post each other so others have a chance to express their opinions and we don’t take up a lot of space on the servers.

WRD to Leaf’s air cooling vs. GM liquid cooling, here is an article that discusses a couple of different points of view and generally not favorable to the Leaf (Air cooling) approach