Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

• Joshua Rosen

October 3, 2021 at 6:59 am

I was just making the point that much less heat has to be dealt with in an EV. The temperatures inside of the combustion chamber of an ICE is in the neighborhood of 260C, the flame temperature is 10X that. Nothing in an EV generates anything like those temperatures unless you have a battery fire. Whereas ICEs normally operate well above the boiling point of water the motors and batteries in an EV can’t and in case of the batteries they have to be held at around room temperature to operate correctly and not to degrade.

The Bolt fires are due to a pair of manufacturing defects in the LG batteries, not GM’s thermal management. Those batteries have been catching fire not only in Bolts but also in Hyundai’s and in at least one case a VW ID.3. I doubt any one of those companies messed up their thermal management but the chances that all three did is vanishingly small. GM knows a thing or two about EVs, they invented the modern EV with the EV1. I had a Volt for three years and it had zero battery degradation in that time, it’s possible that Chevy was able to hide it in the big buffers that they used, but it’s mostly due to the fact that they had very good thermal management. Nissan air cooled their batteries which led to dreadful battery degradation in hot climates but it also proves my point that there isn’t enough heat to boil water. If there was that sort of heat they never would have have attempted to air cool the batteries.