Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds? Reply To: In-Body Cooling – Water Vapour Clouds?

  • Joshua Rosen

    Member
    October 2, 2021 at 8:43 am

    The problem in EVs is too little heat not too much. An internal combustion engine is only about 30% efficient, the rest is heat. An electric drivetrain is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% efficient leaving only 10% to be lost as heat. An ICE also operates at 100s of degrees whereas batteries are comfortable in the same temperature range as people. In the winter ICEVs get their heat for free, all they have to do is route some of their waste heat though the heater core rather than the radiator. An EV drivetrain doesn’t generate enough heat to warm the cabin let alone dissipate any heat to the outside. Heating is extremely costly in an EV, I have a 2019 Model 3 which uses resistance heating, it consumes about 100Wh/mile which is equal to the energy required to run an Aptera. Aptera has said that they want to us a heat pump which will cut the heating costs substantially. In an EV the battery has to be heated in the winter, not just the cabin, so retaining heat is critically important. I would expect that very little heat is going to be sent to the skin in winter, the harder problem for Aptera to solve with skin cooling is keeping the batteries cool in Arizona in the summer.