Reply To: Variable Regen

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Variable Regen Reply To: Variable Regen

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Variable Regen Reply To: Variable Regen

• Hans Roes

October 2, 2021 at 4:40 am

I’ve been driving an Ioniq now for a little over 2 years and I play with my regen settings on every drive.

Contrary to popular believe, full regen is not the most economical way to drive. When regenerating power, you lose a lot of it with all the conversions that you have to make. Ultimately, you will only be able to put about a third of the power back to work for you, losing about two thirds in the regeneration. So, when driving on a highway or in free flowing traffic, I turn off regeneration, that way if I need to cruise a little, or just lose a little bit of my speed (e.g. approaching a lower speed limit with no traffic behind me), I can just let friction take the speed away and that is more efficient than actually slowing down faster with regen and putting some energy back in the battery,

When in heavy traffic, I want heavy regen. I’ll be accelerating and decelerating a lot and having lots of regen means I have to use the brake pedal a lot less. And when in normal traffic, I’ll take light regen, that way, when I lift off from the accelerator, I get some engine braking and the behavior is similar to ICE cars which is also more comfortable for the cars behind me.

I do know not every EV driver likes to play around with those settings and plenty of drivers leave them at the default of light regen because that’s what they are used to. But selecting the right mode for the circumstances will bring you an actual benefit. And I do hope that Aptera makes it possible for drivers to select their level of regen on the go as more and more EVs are getting this capability. Hyundai/Kia were the first I think, but now we also see them for example with VAG cars.