Reply To: NHTSA safety ratings and in-wheel motors

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions NHTSA safety ratings and in-wheel motors Reply To: NHTSA safety ratings and in-wheel motors

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions NHTSA safety ratings and in-wheel motors Reply To: NHTSA safety ratings and in-wheel motors

• George Hughes

September 29, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Jonah:

By definition start-ups and smaller businesses are stretched to the limit and are forced to do more with less.

An automobile is an extremely complex electro-mechanical contraption; one where unexpected things go wrong all the time. While it is getting better, you must know the entire automobile industry has a less than stellar record in regard crash safety.

I share your overall confidence in Aptera and I too am quite impressed with their open approach based on first principles. I’m sure they have this somewhat rare circumstance covered; probably by direct notice from Elaphe.

But now we’re dealing with Elaphe’s competence and ability to communicate and this particular scenario may or may not have come up and, given ‘everyone knows’ that crash testing is not required for ‘autocycles’ … well, there is a chance; a small chance this particular eventuality may have been overlooked because, well, among those EVs that don’t have in-wheel motors there is no requirement for auto shutoff of the battery; hence the manual main battery disconnect.

Couple that with the Formula 1 open wheel design – If you’ve seen many wrecks you know that the wheels often go cattywonkers and the drivers tend to walk-away. But unlike F1, there are high-voltage cables attached to the wheels on the Aptera.

Then there’s Murphy’s law not to mention the value of an ounce of prevention and the bigger understanding about virtually everything: perfection eludes us all.