Reply To: Front Wheel Drive vs All Wheel Drive

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Front Wheel Drive vs All Wheel Drive Reply To: Front Wheel Drive vs All Wheel Drive

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Front Wheel Drive vs All Wheel Drive Reply To: Front Wheel Drive vs All Wheel Drive

• George Hughes

September 27, 2021 at 9:11 am

If you know Aptera’s history, you know that was an issue with the early version in 2008 … and was one of the problems with the model from that era that sits in Jay Leno’s garage.

Between torque vectoring of all three wheels and the magic Rousch Engineering brings to the party, I’d consider the moose test as good as passed.

Why?

Because failure in that maneuver, while it is not uncommon in four-wheeled vehicles, will kill a three-wheeler that can’ pass it. They know and they’ve know since the moose test cost Aptera its chance way back then (some bureaucrat used its failure in this test to deny a needed energy efficiency development grant to the first iteration because of it.); incorporating the ability to pass the moose test was part of the basic design criteria.

Hell, we know that almost every automotive journalist first, has access to video of the failure of the old 2008 prototype that failed. I suspect that out of the entire field of auto journalists, at least a few enjoy very close ties to the existing automotive industry. Indeed, someone could have an EV making company as a special friend and still take glee in wrecking that ‘three-wheeler’ that is making moves toward the mainstream.

The point is, given Aptera’s history, designing the new version to beat that rap – win that test with bells and whistles – had to be a listed priority early in the process. For instance, I suspect the wide-track at the front axle may be due to more than just aerodynamics. And then why would you bring Rousch, which is known for its expertise in road racing, into the mix if you didn’t plan to ‘ace’ the moose test.