Reply To: One foot driving?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One foot driving? Reply To: One foot driving?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One foot driving? Reply To: One foot driving?

• George Hughes

September 26, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Richard:

Regen, almost by definition, will result in the ability to one-pedal drive. Heavier regen simply translates to having heavier braking.

The practical implementation of heavy regen braking requires the ability to slow the vehicle without invoking the vehicles anti-lock mechanism.

Regardless of the electric vehicle – all contemporary EVs offer regen – you don’t want it to be so-severe that if you take your foot off the accelerator that your passenger (or even stuff you place on the passenger seat) slammed into the windshield.

Rather you want heavy enough regen to bring your Aptera to a halt from 60 mph in 200-250 feet while a panic stop would stop it in say 110-ft. (Some performance cars have recorded panic stops from 60 mph under 100-ft.).

Most one-pedal driving fans like a little heavier regen than one gets from a Spark EV, Bolt or Volt in “L”. In those circumstances where you’re having to brake hard for a yellow traffic light, you’ll use the regular brake pedal which does involve max regen (I’ve seen my Spark regen up to 60 kw with the brake pedal in such circumstances. If memory serves, the MOST regen I’ve seen with it in “L” is like 40 kw max.)

The cool thing about regen is that by modulating your foot on the accelerator you can actually control the amount of regen (or braking) by how delicately you press the accelerator. If you use standard cruise control (available at speeds >24 mph) you would be surprised how much regen you might get just cruising back roads and residential streets as CC is just that more precise than my heavy foot 😉