Reply To: Geographical location concern

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Geographical location concern Reply To: Geographical location concern

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Geographical location concern Reply To: Geographical location concern

• Joshua Rosen

September 24, 2021 at 7:23 pm

I’m not counting on any solar energy and I don’t think it matters. The car is supposed to use 100Wh per mile. Take a look at your electrical bill and divide the KWh cost by 9 to get the cost per mile (use 9 instead of 10 to account for charging loses). I’m paying 25 cents per KWh so I would expect to pay less than 3 cents per mile, that’s nothing. If the solar charging is important to you then find the solar energy that you get. When they say 40 miles a day they are talking about California which gets around 6 KW per square meter. I live in MA which only gets 3 KW per sq meter which is why I don’t think it will help me. Your 24 day in summer makes it harder to compare but it’s an interesting calculation to make. What you know for sure is that you won’t get any solar energy in the winter.

As for how it performs in the winter I’m taking a wait and see attitude. I have no intention of getting rid of my Tesla after I get an Aptera. I’ll want to go through one winter before making the decision as to whether it’s an all season car or just a summer car. You should make the same assumption, it will work fine in the summer how it handles snow and extreme cold is an open question that only time will answer.