Reply To: Laminar Flow and cooling

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Laminar Flow and cooling Reply To: Laminar Flow and cooling

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Laminar Flow and cooling Reply To: Laminar Flow and cooling

• Joshua Rosen

September 22, 2021 at 6:11 am

John

I’ve spent my career on the forefronts of technology, in my case high performance computing, and I have a number of patents. Most patents aren’t fundamental, companies get them to fill out their patent portfolios, and a very few are and those are the important ones. Cooling is outside of my area of expertise so I don’t know what’s patentable in this field and what’s not but as someone who’s been through the process Aptera’s skin cooling sure feels like it could be a fundamental invention. I have no doubt that they’ve already filed patents in this area but there may be follow on patents that haven’t been filed. In patent law you lose the right to patent something if it’s been publicly disclosed. You can show it to an outsider under an NDA, that’s not considered public, but if you make any public disclosures it goes into the public domain. That’s what I was getting at by saying that they have to have all of their IP ducks in a row before they can do a webinar. I also mentioned not doing it before they’ve shipped the vehicle. This is a practical consideration not a legal one. As soon as the car is available the Chinese are going to reverse engineer it. I’ve done business in China and it has not been a happy experience, I’ve also experienced attacks from China on my source control server. The patents will protect them in the West where patent laws are strong but in China, where IP rights are not respected, the best strategy is to keep information private until it’s no longer possible, i.e. until the product is available.

My undergraduate degree was in physics so I’d find a detailed explanation of their cooling technique fascinating and I look forward to a webinar on the subject. However I wouldn’t expect it until they’ve filed all of the patents that that they are going to file.