Reply To: Apteras Union ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Apteras Union ? Reply To: Apteras Union ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Apteras Union ? Reply To: Apteras Union ?

• Fanfare 100

September 19, 2021 at 8:53 pm

I believe in the right to form and/or join an union. I have been in unions and proudly. But I also believe in the right to not have one if one is not needed. The reason for unions was for collective bargaining to offer a way to air grievances and more effectively collectively bargain against an employer who would otherwise have the upper hand and might have established the precedence of abusive and/or unfair labour practices.

But if an employer is fair and the employees are happy, enjoy a positive rapport and feel that they are well and fairly compensated for their efforts there truly is no need for an union and often the workers will not feel inspired to form or join one and rightfully so.

In such cases, penalising a company for having happy workers is also unjust. I know of some workplaces where the labour practices in union shops are not as favourable as those in union shops.

Therefore, incentives should not be doled out simply if a company employs an union, but rather, after an independent assessment of fair and well-regarded labour practices, regardless of union status or not. Companies should also be penalised for attempts at union-busting as well. But, to my knowledge that has also not been the case at companies such as Tesla or Aptera.

My belief is that this has become a political matter based on the magnitude of political contributions made by certain groups

May fairness prevail and not simply the word of the highest bidder.