Reply To: How will the deliveries be done.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How will the deliveries be done. Reply To: How will the deliveries be done.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How will the deliveries be done. Reply To: How will the deliveries be done.

• Kelley Winters

September 19, 2021 at 3:26 pm

I purchased my Bolt (a decision I lived to regret) in Colorado and drove it to my residence in southern California. The sale was documented by the Colorado dealer as a California transaction. I did not pay Colorado sales tax, although I was charged a small state registration fee for the temporary license tags. I paid the enormous California sales tax and registration when I arrived home. My only penalty was that I was not eligible for a California EV cash incentive because I did not purchase my car from a California dealer. However, the Colorado price was lower than California prices for the same car by more than the amount of state incentives, so I came out ahead.

I’m an engineer nerd and don’t give tax advice, but my understanding is that vehicle sales taxes are paid to the state of residence where the car is registered, not at the point of purchase. I’m happy to be corrected if this is wrong.