Reply To: What options do you want

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What options do you want Reply To: What options do you want

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What options do you want Reply To: What options do you want

• John Schwartz

September 10, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Every engineering team has to deal with trade-offs. I get it. I do it for a living. For passenger vehicles, the cargo capacity is generally dictated by the comfortable working range of the suspension. At minimum weight there needs to be enough load on the suspension to provide safe, comfortable handling. And the same needs to be true at maximum load. Heavier vehicles tend to have a wider range because it ends up loosely relating to a percentage of the total vehicle weight. This is all based on the premise that the suspension components have a fixed response, because most people generally don’t like to fiddle with things. All I was suggesting is that, by adding an adjustment capability, you can change the equation. Some vehicles already do this, and some people do it as an aftermarket mod.

I’ve never been interested in most two-seat cars, for the primary reason that they generally have little to no usable cargo space, so you can’t actually go anywhere with them. This makes them nothing more than Sunday drivers, so to speak. This vehicle excites me because, on paper at least, it’s designed to actually go places. Really, what is the purpose of 25 cu. ft. of cargo space if you can’t put anything in there? I get that three wheels presents it’s own challenges for weight distribution and balance, and I get that this is trying to be as light as possible while still being a complete “car”. My concern is that at the stated limits, it’s barely suitable for a run to the grocery store, and if it can’t do that, well, what’s the point?

As others have said, it’s a wish list. And as a niche vehicle, it’s totally awesome the way it is. I want one. The future four-wheel variant will obviously be able to solve a majority of the “practicality” issues that may or may not exist in this version, at the cost of some efficiency.