Reply To: What’s your Aptera evolution?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What’s your Aptera evolution? Reply To: What’s your Aptera evolution?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What’s your Aptera evolution? Reply To: What’s your Aptera evolution?

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 8, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Aerodynamic efficiency is central to Aptera’s design philosophy. I don’t think that an “SUV” form can be adapted to conform to that. Even going to four wheels will take a toll.

The Mercedes EQS has a drag coefficient of .20, and is one of the sleekest vehicles out there. If Aptera wants to do better than that on four wheels, they’ll need to taper the rear of the car vertically. Look at an image of the rear of the Riversimple prototype for an example of this.

My prediction is that Aptera’s four wheel car be similar to an elongated version of the Riversimple idea (think Lightyear for scale) possibly with podded or faired front wheels. It will offer more seating and cargo capacity than their original car, but I don’t see anything of similar dimensions to the typical SUV. It would just lose too much efficiency for solar panels to contribute any significant range.