Reply To: Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times! Reply To: Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times! Reply To: Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

• Joshua Rosen

September 6, 2021 at 2:59 pm

If he had solar panels on his roof he would be able to completely power his house and also be able to charge his car. NOLA is a good spot for solar, no winter and very far South. Alternatively if he had a propane generator he would also be able to ride out the outage. A car only has so much power in it’s battery, if you drain it to power your house then you won’t be able to go anywhere.

I live in Massachusetts and we have frequent outages, and when it happens here it’s worse because they happen in winter. When we have a long outage the first day isn’t too bad, you can put extra blankets on the bed and make sure the cat’s join you there. By the second day it gets very uncomfortable and by the third it’s intolerable, that’s when you have to camp out at a friends house in a town with underground power lines. After I went through a winter that had two nearly week long outages I bought a generator and had them install a pair of tanks so that I could make it through a week long outage. Now when we have an outage I barely notice it, the only way I even know that’s it’s happened is that the lights flicker for a few seconds and my UPSes beep when they engage. I had a very brief outage when the remnants of Ida passed through last week, that one was so short that it wouldn’t have mattered but I’ve had a few long outages since I got the generator, nothing more than a day. When they happen life goes on normally and my car can also be charged.

As I’ve mentioned in another thread, the cost of hooking up your car as backup power is more than half the cost of putting in a generator. You still need a transfer switch, permits, and an electrician.