Reply To: New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle Reply To: New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle Reply To: New solar vehicle

• John Malcom

September 3, 2021 at 2:58 pm

I think you got a better deal than I did on your first car. My bug was always in the shop mostly with wiring issues.

I don’t think anyone can really tell how successful Aptera will be with a two seater at any of the ranges. It will be a novelty for sure, even in an expanding EV market with growing acceptance, and I think that can go both ways. The “Fun to drive – fad” cars of a a little more than decade ago (VW new Bug, PT Cruiser, Mini) are all gone except the mini. The mini sells a few EVs but not many and Fiat sells a 500e but not many. Both are low range cars.

You and I have the best selling EV cars in the world, the Tesla Model 3. Mine is OK, but a little dull to drive, thus my interest in the Aptera 2 seat.

For my self I have had two seaters most of my life supplemented with a larger vehicle when we had kids. We are empty nesters now. I had several Miata’s, and one BWW two seater you highlighted in one of your posts. Also had a 71 Lotus Europa and a recent Lotus Elise. I would not take any of these on a road trip. I still have one two seater, a Lamborghini Diablo, that is only driven on weekends. (10 to 11MPG around town 😒) We keep it because it increases in value every year.

I am not a distance driver. I will drive the 125 miles from Jacksonville to Orlando but that is it. I am a pilot and have an old reciprocating twin engine Beach. If we have to go more than 200 miles we get in the plane, fly, and rent a car if we need to drive locally. We dive a lot in the Keys. It is a 6-8 hour drive no matter what car you have. Quicker and more fun to fly.

Now maybe if they would put wings on the Aptera……..