Reply To: New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle Reply To: New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle Reply To: New solar vehicle

• Joshua Rosen

September 3, 2021 at 1:54 pm

My first car cost $1200 also, it was a 71 Ford Maverick with 12,000 miles on it, I cashed in my Bar Mitzvah bonds to buy it.

Maybe I’m wrong about the 250 mile version. The market for Aptera’s might be bifurcated, old farts like you and me who are buying them for road trips and young people who are buying them to commute. With only two seats it’s not a family car or a primary car for anyone who might ever need to transport a third person. I do weekly road trips in good weather, going to Brattleboro Vermont tomorrow and Camden Maine a week from tomorrow. The Vermont trip can be done without Supercharging but Camden will require at least two Supercharger stops and I’m planning to do three. The 600 mile Aptera can do Camden without any charging stops and that’s the longest trip we make. For younger people the primary use for a two seater will be commuting and for that 250 miles is good enough, if that’s what you are buying it for then saving some money makes sense. I’m not convinced that it’s a good move for Aptera to sell the 250 mile version. They are going to be production limited and I’m not convinced that they will lose many sales if their cheapest version is the 400 mile car, most of the people who only need the 250 mile version would upgrade to the 400 mile one which has higher margins for Aptera.

As for the 1000 mile version. Yes it’s a potential halo car but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra engineering cost to come out with it. It’s going to weigh 500lbs more than the 600 mile version which requires a sturdier suspension and the battery is going to be 1.66X the size of the 600 mile battery. After 500 real world miles, which the EPA 600 mile version will provide, there is absolutely no benefit to greater range. If you are doing 1000 miles in a day it’s going to be all on Interstates where there are plenty of fast chargers. A 1000 mile trip is going to require five stops for bathroom and food breaks which gives plenty of opportunities to charge. Even an extreme masochist is going to make at least three stops.