Reply To: Charging Stations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging Stations Reply To: Charging Stations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging Stations Reply To: Charging Stations

• Joshua Rosen

August 30, 2021 at 6:36 am

If they do a 3.3 KW L2 charger I won’t be buying one. The Volt had a 3.3 KW charger and it took over 6 hours to charge it and it had a tiny 14 KWh usable battery, the Aptera will have a 60KWh usable battery. You need to be able to do a full charge over night and that can’t happen at 3.3KW. The 50KW charger is definitely a turn off but I’ve decided it’s not a show stopper because with 500 miles of real world range I don’t anticipate ever needing to do DC charging. The absolute longest of my day trips is 450 miles, it will be able to handle that without charging. Multiday trips will be tolerable as long as you choose hotels with chargers. However if they can’t do more than 50KW DC then they will have to use CCS, Superchargers are out. Tesla has said that they are going to charge substantially more for slow charging cars and they are right to do so. You can’t have a car hogging a charger for an hour, my experience at the Superchargers is that I typically take 15 minutes, that leaves it open for the next guy.