Reply To: Lightyear EV News

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Lightyear EV News Reply To: Lightyear EV News

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Lightyear EV News Reply To: Lightyear EV News

• bhtooefr

August 29, 2021 at 5:57 am

Looks like estimates are 1300 kg – compare to Aptera’s target of 816 kg for the same size 60 kWh pack. However, weight is less important with an EV’s efficiency, as you get some of that energy back under regenerative braking.

Aerodynamics are what’s far more important, and there, drag coefficient is higher – “under 0.20” versus 0.13 for Aptera. (I’m not about to compare frontal area – I suspect it’s not actually that different, due to Aptera’s being much wider and taller, but the wheels being podded and away from the body.)

Lightyear One’s charging speed versus efficiency estimates imply about 1000 W of panel, versus 700 W for Aptera. (There may actually be more – I’ve seen some estimates that imply over 1200 W of cells based on their 5 m^2 of area, so it’s quite possible that the curvature of the panels limits insolation and means that you’ll never actually hit a 1200 W peak, and 1000 W is a realistic limit. If that’s the case, Aptera may also be somewhat lower realistic peak.)

One big thing that accounts for differences in claims, though: Lightyear One is using the WLTP cycle for their claims – the standard in Europe – which typically is easier than the EPA test cycles that I believe Aptera’s claims are based on (I think there are a couple exceptions, where Tesla actually has shorter range on some models WLTP than EPA, but the vast majority of cars have shorter range on EPA than WLTP). It’s fair – and in fact necessary – to use WLTP for a product meant for the European market, but it means their range claims aren’t directly comparable (and WLTP ranges tend to be optimistic).