Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery timeline Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery timeline Reply To: Realistic delivery timeline

• George Hughes

August 27, 2021 at 12:12 pm

I’m a great fan of the Aptera. In other posts, I’ve suggested this ‘new segment’ of automobile fits the United States in the future in such a way that with success of the sustainability principle in society – I want to live, I don’t want to die – there’ll be 50 million Aptera’s on the road.

You don’t get there with a maximum out put of 10,000 vehicles a year.

To me the real concept is how they expand? Do they open one or maybe two or three similar production facilities (100,000 sq/ft, 50 employee assembly locations) or go for a mega-factory (or take over Lordstown) with mega robots and all that jazz.

As start up automaker without the billions of Elon, they’ve faced the future and see the behemoth autoplant is not future. Capital limitations of Aptera will limit the number of additional plants and the speed with which they can set up.

There is a third alternative.

What if Aptera supporters were to come together and establish, near them, 10-15 copies of the original production facility. This independent investment would be leveraged by the fact that other low-volume vehicles are potential markets for these MANPOWERED production facilities. That would equate to a potential production volume of over 100,000/yr.

But why think small? There are many suitable 100000 sq/ft facilities and, for instance, there are 200+ television markets (Atlanta is central Ga; Washington, DC covers large portions of Virginia and Maryland, etc.) Figure the volume of 100 assembly plants nationwide and you’ve got a million unit production.

The imperative in all this is the move to EV’s for transportation and as many of you know, there are forces, very wealthy sources, that will do what they can to thwart that.

One might say, limiting Aptera to 10,000 units a year is successfully thwarting a competing transportation mentality – sustainability.

And, let me suggest, sustainability will not be established by the creation of 100,000 vehicles with 200kw batteries because sustainability would be better served by 500,000 vehicles 40kw batteries. You’re going to move more people that way, sustainably.