Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts on meeting European regulations Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts on meeting European regulations Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

• David Ginty

August 26, 2021 at 7:50 pm

In order to import a Motor Vehicle into Australia, we need gain approval from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communication. Part of the approval process is compliance to Australian Design Rules (ADR). Once this is done we can import our Aptera into Australia. Then we take it to our State Authority. NSW as you point out allows light vehicles to be 2.5m wide and further into the document I found this:

“Car means a motor vehicle built mainly to carry people that:

• Seats not more than 9 adults (including the driver), and

• Has a body commonly known as a sedan, station wagon, coupe, convertible, or roadster,
    and

• Has 3 or more wheels. “

It appears that NSW may well register an Aptera for road use but we still need Federal Approval. The ADRs have a 3 wheel category which has a 2m width limit but as I stated earlier the passenger car category doesn’t mention the number of wheels. Hopefully there is a way.

3 wheelers in Australia which have steering wheels and seats are rare. The Morgan 3 Wheeler is one and reading their web site it took 2 years to get approval. At the current pace Aptera may be ready to deliver our cars before that. Aptera is setting up an Ambassador program which I hope will support us in applying for Australian approval.