Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts on meeting European regulations Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Thoughts on meeting European regulations Reply To: Thoughts on meeting European regulations

• David Ginty

August 26, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Australia is a signatory to the UNECE. My reading of the regulations is that someone has mostly done a cut and paste job between Australian Design Rules, ADR, and UNECE regulations and they got the 2m rule in the L class vehicles. A notable exception is that UNECE seems to require M Class vehicles to have 4 wheels. In the ADRs I have found no mention about 4 wheels for M Class vehicles.

As for wide cars, Australia does have wide open spaces and exceptionally wide roads especially where road trains (53.5m long usually 3 trailers and 2.5m wide) operate, and we do have urban areas and shopping center car parks. The widest vehicle you commonly see in Australia is a Toyota Landcruiser which is 183cm wide excluding mirrors. These often don’t fit in carpark spaces. The width of an Aptera is a concern, but if the design improves efficiency, and delivers the claimed performance I want one.