Reply To: V2G

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions V2G Reply To: V2G

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions V2G Reply To: V2G

• Dan Stevens

August 24, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Not sure, but I sort of hope so. I want V2H (vehicle to home) and could care less about V2G. V2H is on the drawing board to be standardized long before V2G (though both are coming quickly). In fact, EV’s like the Ford F150 Lightening are introducing it in the spring of next year. But of course, it requires THEIR charger setup to make it happen correctly. I’m sure there is a lot of preliminary protocols floating around to interchangeability, but I wouldn’t count on that to work once the spec if finalized.

V2H is much simpler, you control what happens on this side of the meter. V2G is a regulatory nightmare and I don’t really want to use my car to power someone else’s refrigerator and TV.

So, somewhat available now, definitely next year. Can you use any bidirectional charger with any bidirectional car? Not officially yet.

Will Aptera allow this? I hope so. Its the same CCS connector, a minor bit of hardware to allow bidirectional power flow and probably a couple of hundred hours of software time to make it work.