Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Battery pack selection ? Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Battery pack selection ? Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

• Joshua Rosen

August 23, 2021 at 2:20 pm

There is no realistic circumstance where the 400 mile version will go 1000 miles. The amount that you’ll be able to exceed the EPA range on Aptera is anyone’s guess right now since they don’t have final units and they haven’t done the EPA tests. There are two sets of EPA tests, 2 cycle and 5 cycle. Tesla does the 5 cycle and everyone else does the 2 cycle. The 5 cycle is more realistic in that it covers things like temperature ranges. The two cycle test tends to be more pessimistic because there is a big fudge factor subtracted from the range to compensate for the tests limited coverage. Manufacturers may also choose to lower their EPA numbers if they want. The two extremes in the EPA test world are Tesla and Porsche. Tesla has left absolutely nothing on the table so almost all 70MPH range tests get less than the EPA number. Porsche has managed to sandbag the tests in some way so that almost all independent 70MPH range tests has them far exceeding their reported range. Porsche wants to under promise and over deliver which is why they do this. Range is not what Porsche is selling, it’s race track performance, so they can afford to under report their range. Tesla makes range one of the key features of their cars which is why they push the EPA range tests to their limits. Aptera is all about range so my guess is that they will be closer to Tesla in the way they report range and certainly won’t sand bag the results like Porsche.

Realistically how much better can you do then the EPA range if you have a very light foot. I have about has light a foot as you can have. Most of my driving is road trips because I don’t commute, those trips tend to be half highway and half back road. I have a 2019 AWD Model 3 which has an EPA of about 234Wh/Mile. My life time is 235Wh/Mile and 227Wh/Mile for the last 7200 miles. On perfect days and all back road I can get 200Wh/Mile. My expectation for Aptera is that if they say it’s 100Wh/Mile I’ll be able to get that but not a lot more.