Reply To: From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country Reply To: From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country Reply To: From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

• Joshua Rosen

August 23, 2021 at 10:19 am

If you can buy a Model 3 in Japan then you should get a Model 3. I have one and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. It will be a couple of years before Aptera can export anywhere let alone Japan. They haven’t started production in the US yet, they want to do it by the end of this year but If I had to guess it won’t be until the middle of next year. Even huge companies take a year and half to two years before they start exporting a new car, somethings it’s a little quicker I think VW started shipping ID.4s to the US about 6 months after they started to ship them in Europe. Exporting means having to meet the regulatory requirements of the target country that’s expensive even for a standard vehicle let alone something as quirky as the Aptera. In addition to all of the regulatory hurdles you also have the issue of right hand drive vs left hand drive. The US, EU and China are left hand drive which will make it easier for Aptera to export to the EU with only minor changes such as the tail lights. For RHD countries like the UK, Australia and Japan they will have to move the steering wheel so those regions are going to be on the bottom of the priority list.