Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Battery pack selection ? Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Battery pack selection ? Reply To: Battery pack selection ?

• George Hughes

August 22, 2021 at 12:13 am

I too selected the 400 mile ~40kw battery package. I’ve got an EVSE so I could get by easily with the smaller battery.

First, I’m retired and there are a lot of roads I’ve never explored. I want a car that will let me listen to an audio book in one trip. The 400-mile Aptera is good for a full day trip lasting at least 10 hours on the backwoods roads. I figure most of my trips will be more modest – 150 mile round trip but I don’t want to worry about it.

But rather than get confused by the ‘mileage’ potential of the Aptera, consider that in today’s market a 40kw battery is on the low side. My Spark EV had about a 22kw battery and it’s EPA was 82 miles. That implies that 40kw would move a small EV 164 miles on the EPA cycle. Aptera’s 400 miles range comes more from the efficiency of Aptera than it does buying some massive battery pack.

People who are really off-grid and need the 100kw battery for V2H is one reasonable use. Another is when the Aptera has V2V charging and, because of its operating efficiency, it is the vehicle recommended for the first call for road service at service stations everywhere.

That said, I don’t think it will be three months after Aptera hits the streets you’ll see the first youtube of a guy swapping a 40kw and 25kw battery pack. A guy with a 25kw wanting a 40 or 60 kw, will advertise for a battery swap, “My 25kw batt pack + $1000 for your 40kw Aptera pack.

My concern suggesting a robust trade in battery packs is based on the notion conjured by Nathan Armstrong who said the Aptera can be taken apart with something like seven hand tools in two hours. If in finalizing the BMS, they need a way to easily connect the BMS to the various kw/chemistry configurations with a download, plug in chip or with some switches. Bottom line you want the labor and renewed configuration in any battery swap to be less than 2-hours – at current rates about $150 for labor.