Reply To: Battery size/range selection

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Battery size/range selection Reply To: Battery size/range selection

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Battery size/range selection Reply To: Battery size/range selection

• harry-parker

August 21, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Here are some factors to consider:

1. The mileage is an estimate based on the US standard combined city and highway driving cycle of the EPA. It’s top speed is something like 70 mph and its average speed is much less, something like 47 mph. (Don’t quote me because I don’t have the numbers at hand.) So . . .

2. Your mileage may vary. ???? In particular,

3. Your high speed mileage WILL be less.

4. Your uphill mileage will be less. (And downhill will be more. ????)

5. Your mileage with the heat on will be less.

6. Your mileage with the AC on will be less.

7. Your mileage in rain and snow and headwinds will be less.

On the other hand, driving with a tailwind and your stop & go city driving and backroad driving on a nice cool day will be MORE. ????

8. You won’t want to go to 0% charge so subtract at least 5 or 10% to your distance between charges for that as well.

9. That “40 (or 46) miles per day” from the sun is in OPTIMUM conditions: Summer Sun on a dry cool day. See the solar calculator for YOUR particular average summer and winter day in YOUR location. Here in NJ I’ll be lucky to get 3/4th of that.

The really good news as far as I’m concerned is that Tesla recently announced they were opening their Supercharging network to all brands of EVs, starting next year. That means you’ll have access to the world’s largest network of high speed chargers wherever you go.