Reply To: Choice of battery manufacturer and chemistry

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Choice of battery manufacturer and chemistry Reply To: Choice of battery manufacturer and chemistry

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Choice of battery manufacturer and chemistry Reply To: Choice of battery manufacturer and chemistry

• George Hughes

August 21, 2021 at 12:00 pm

My concern at this point in time regarding batteries is getting a reliable supply largely because of the explosion of demand from more established auto manufacturers.

With demand at its present level, one might take a more commodity-based attitude to battery pack. While you can’t mix different chemistries in any individual pack, the commodity option would allow for battery packs to be built to size.

As Chris was saying in the latest investor’s zoom, the batteries may not be precisely, say 40kw packs but could be 38kw or even 43kw, depending on the cells used.

By having a broader choice of battery cells and chemistries, will make it less likely that battery supply will be a production bottleneck.

More importantly, by de-emphasizing the selection of the specific cell and configuring the battery pack to kw sizes these packs emphasizes the commodity nature of battery packs while also highlighting the robustness of the BMS. This approach establishes in a dramatic demonstration of adaptability, that Aptera is ready for the next generation of battery storage.

I mean right now, I’d be excited if I could replace the 22kw A123 battery pack in my Spark EV with an upgrade as there has been a lot of improvements in battery tech since 2013 when it was made. That this kind of upgrade is baked into the Aptera’s DNA with its right to repair philosophy.

The costs would seem to be the time required to configure and build the packs using, I assume, pouch batteries of differing chemistries (not in the same pack) so that 1/3 of the 40kw batteries are from battery producer 1; 1/2 of the 40 kw batteries from battery producer 2, and 17 percent of the batteries from producer 1 but with a different chemistry than the first 1/3.

Basically, you have a battery box which is where the pack is set and has the capacity to cool the units.

You might have to engineer three different battery box builds for the “40kw” battery size and three more for the 60kw and an additional three for the 25kw pack. The 100kw pack might only have two battery suppliers and two builds. I suspect, given the price/demand curve, that this kind of strategy not only emphasizes the plug-n-play DNA of Aptera, but will provide a strategy designed to keep battery costs as low as possible.