Reply To: Range question

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Range question Reply To: Range question

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Range question Reply To: Range question

• Harry Parker

August 18, 2021 at 11:27 am

Good replies here so far.

The only thing I wanted to add is that charging to 100% won’t significantly harm the battery if it doesn’t sit at that charge level for long. Tesla and others suggest charging to 100% only for long trips where you need the maximum range on that trip and then timing the charge to reach 100% only minutes before you are ready to use the battery. And I’ve heard that there is nothing wrong with running thee battery down to 5% or less IF there is a charger at the destination.

So getting 90 to 95% of the estimated range is OK for the Aptera’s battery, if done right, and perfectly normal.

As I live on top of an 800 foot hill, I’d leave some room at the top of the charge so that regenerative braking would top off the battery on the way down for long trips.

As others have mentioned, driving speed, weather conditions and elevation changes all impact the range. If Aptera’s trip software is as smart as some, it will offer suggestions as to where to recharge and for how long along the way, taking into account all those factors to give an accurate battery usage estimates for particular destinations.