Reply To: Back Hatch

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Back Hatch Reply To: Back Hatch

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Back Hatch Reply To: Back Hatch

• Scott Price

August 17, 2021 at 4:41 pm

Yes, it is an interesting trade-off, Sean. Although there are certainly benefits to getting the solar hatch (as mentioned by our fellow fans here), I am choosing the roof/dash/hood combination without the solar hatch. Reasons:

1) The car is already incredibly efficient, and getting the roof/dash/hood solar panels will still achieve a good chunk of the “trickle charge” goal.

2) I already have solar panels on my home which significantly exceed 100% of our home’s entire energy needs, with excess power generation intended to be fed to an EV.

3) I do not want to feel like I am driving a darkened coffin down the road. 🙂

4) I appreciate good field of view in a car. The current lateral/door windows already have unfortunate field of view blockage through the middle of the windows. Personally, I will frequently do a quick reality check head turn to see behind me in my current cars that have backup cameras, in addition to using the cameras (and their specific usage being situation dependent). Direct view is easy, reliable, adaptable, and quicker than some limitations (glare on display, grime on lens covering, preset angle and perspective, etc.) of being 100% reliant upon the display and fixed optics of rear view cameras.

The solar hatch is a good option and just depends on your personal priorities. I prefer a car that optimizes for a great all around experience over just going for the highest specs / numerical results. Have fun deciding!