Reply To: What is your Aptera replacing?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What is your Aptera replacing? Reply To: What is your Aptera replacing?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What is your Aptera replacing? Reply To: What is your Aptera replacing?

• George Hughes

August 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm

The Aptera will replace my ‘rare’ successor to the EV1 – the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV, of which fewer than 1,700 were sold. My Spark EV is a very early car registered in Michigan in February ’13 and carrying a VIN number ending in …00065 and, with the 2014’s being the lowest production year, I’m wondering if it might be a collectable.

While it suffered from its 82-mile range, the remarkable thing about the Spark EV is it took a truly mediocre Spark ICE-powered car with 82hp and improved it so much that it was the fastest, most fun entry into that sad group known as compliance cars. With the boost to 140 HP, 400lb of torque and its battery located under the rear seat, a suspension beefed up for the extra weight, it is just a better car than the under-powered gas-powered Spark. It appeal is summed up with the 0-60 stat: EV 7.3 seconds; ICE 11.0 seconds.

But without DCFC, it is an anchor with a long lead. The parking brake setup is no fun and you get inordinate amount of torque-steer coming out of a driveway onto a state highway it is far from perfect.

One of the reasons folks are generally comfortable buying a Chevy or Ford is they pretty much know things like power windows and locks, airbags, a heater, AC and radio are all likely to work or be easy to fix. My Spark has been reliable and the only maintenance other than tires, was a fluid top-off of the battery cooling system covered under warranty.

My hope is the Aptera does the mundane stuff as good as this ‘compliance car’ because I surely like its specs on range, speed and utility.