Reply To: Ability to limit charging?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ability to limit charging? Reply To: Ability to limit charging?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Ability to limit charging? Reply To: Ability to limit charging?

• Joshua Rosen

August 15, 2021 at 6:01 pm

I’ve never heard of a BEV where you can’t limit the charging level. That said best charging practices depend on the type of battery. With nickel cobalt batteries Tesla recommends charging to to no more than 90% and 80% is considered fairly optimal for battery life. With the LFP batteries I’ve read that they were recommending charging to 100%. Aptera hasn’t said which batteries they are using yet and I wouldn’t be surprised if they used LFPs in the short range cars and NMCs in the long range cars, that’s what Tesla is doing with the made in China cars and they have said that they want to do that in the US also. NMC batteries have higher energy densities and can charge and discharge at higher rates, the downside is that they are expensive and have shorter lives. LFP batteries are lower density had have poorer performance but they are much cheaper and they last a lot longer. The 400 mile version only needs a 40KWh battery while the 600 mile and 1000 mile versions will need 60KWh and 100KWh respectively. The car has to be designed to handle the larger batteries which gives you a lot of space to put the smaller batteries so the lower energy densities don’t matter, it’s well worth the tradeoff for a cheaper more durable battery.