Reply To: Share your Aptera Story

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Share your Aptera Story Reply To: Share your Aptera Story

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Share your Aptera Story Reply To: Share your Aptera Story

• Jesthorbjorn

August 14, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Six and a half years ago, with frugality and self sufficiency in mind, I got a PV array installed at my house, only to realize that with all of the other home efficiencies I had adopted about the same time, that the array was actually producing rather more power than I was actually using for the house.

Since I also needed a new vehicle at that point, buying an EV to let me use that excess to push me down the road was a no-brainer. Being dramatically more efficient than an ICE car suited my need for both frugality and reduced impact also. But the Leaf I got had a barely adequate range and I knew it would have a limited life before that range began to degrade especially driving it 20,000 miles a year.

These six years later the Leaf is still doing what I need, but I can tell it is beginning to get long in the tooth. Time to start looking at what’s next. Surely those years of rapid innovation has brought about still more efficient vehicles?

There is a vastly larger selection of EVs on the market today and most sport two, three or more times the range of my current ride. That’s nice. But most of that is achieved by stuffing ever larger batteries in what are usually ever larger vehicles. That’s not efficiency, that’s the cancer of rampant conspicuous consumption permeating the EV market too. Profoundly disappointing.

Then Aptera comes up in my field of view and I think, yeah! Now that’s the next dramatic increment in efficiency, frugality and self sufficiency that I was looking for. The current design suits 90-95% of my needs and that works for me too. I’m in for that.

Can’t hardly wait now to share with all my neighbors and fellow commuters just fantastic a hyper efficient vehicle can be and maybe bend the perception what folks maybe ought to be driving away from the ever larger vehicles.