Reply To: Another look at torque-vector steering

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another look at torque-vector steering Reply To: Another look at torque-vector steering

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another look at torque-vector steering Reply To: Another look at torque-vector steering

• George Hughes

August 11, 2021 at 5:24 pm

I’ve been downright excited about the potentials that come from torque vectoring from carriage height to parade mode.

What we run into with torque-vectoring is this capability, which comes with in-wheel motors, is a complete game changer for the entity that exploits it. For instance, my research around here raises the idea that Aptera will use electric power steering like that on most every other car which is not really much different than that on an ICE vehicle except there is an electric motor, rather than belts off the crankshaft, that run it.

As the reviewer in the video above noted, Archimoto is going to have to ‘re-program all their older FUV’s to use the torque-vectoring because they didn’t use it initially.

Probably the greatest problem with torque-vectoring is that it really hasn’t been used in a popular vehicle up to this point. The obvious reason is that in-wheel motors for passenger-class vehicles is a relatively recent arrival. As a technology that would only arrive through electrification of automobiles – it wasn’t going to happen when efforts were all directed at ICE vehicles – I’m sure it has been potentially doable for some time.

From what I gather from reading, some uses for torque-vectoring include the ability to endlessly drift without risk of a spin-out, better natural road-handling and then it makes possible things like spin in place.