Would skin cooling be affected by wrap?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Would skin cooling be affected by wrap?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Would skin cooling be affected by wrap?

• Would skin cooling be affected by wrap?

Llewellyn Evans updated 1 month ago 13 Members · 23 Posts
  • Joseph Cook

August 10, 2021 at 8:57 am

If I wanted to customize the look of my Aptera with a vinyl wrap, of course avoiding the solar panels 😜, would that impact the vehicles skin cooling system?

• Raj Giandeep

August 10, 2021 at 9:20 am

I was under the impression that all the colors are wrapped. Custom or white, silver, black.

• Joseph Cook

August 10, 2021 at 9:27 am

I hope not as, from what I’ve read, average durability of a vinyl wrap is only ~5 years. Well maintained paint should last decades.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 10, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Paint requires a paint shop in the production facility, which is very expensive and has significant environmental problems, so Aptera is pursuing the path of least resistance, given their limited captal resources.

• GRAUSS Thierry

August 10, 2021 at 10:44 pm

What would be nice is having the pigments embedded inside the composite itself.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 11, 2021 at 3:29 pm

I agree. In any case, if the wrap begins to look shabby (or in my case, really REALLY shabby) you can always either re-wrap it or paint it at that point. At least by that point, rust won’t have set in.

• GREG MIRICH

August 10, 2021 at 3:15 pm

The life span for a wrap depends on the quality of the vinyl and how it is taken care of. There are products on the market that prolong the life of wraps

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 11, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Also, I would imagine, on the environment in which it is used. Gravel roads and winter grit will take their toll, probably.

• John Malcom

August 10, 2021 at 6:51 pm

All of the colors offered by Aptera will be raps.

• Riley _

August 11, 2021 at 4:02 am

I think the color of the wrap would affect the cooling much more. A black car in the sun is hotter to the touch than a white car.

• Ozman

August 11, 2021 at 8:17 pm

The wraps however are confined to the lower portions of the vehicle for the most part. You will not be able to wrap or change the color of any area with solar. Except for the hood (If not solar optioned.) and small edge areas, the upper area that is mostly exposed to direct sun will either be solar array or glass.

• Riley _

August 11, 2021 at 9:09 pm

You can wrap the top of Aptera just need to cut out all the solar cells. I hope Aptera or a third party sell a kit for a full solar car to match any color you want.

• Henry Kitt

August 11, 2021 at 9:40 am

This is actually my primary concern with Aptera, the wrap. Cost cutting on their end costs the consumer more down the line. The base without wrap is actually a gloss finish, so you can get the car without any wrap at all and it should look nice. It seems the reason for the wrap is that possibly the base composite shell might not be scratch resistant. To counter this, you can immediately take your new Aptera to have it clear coated, which would be less expensive at least, than getting a full on paint job, and less expensive down the line.

From Aptera: “The base of our Alpha vehicles has been black to start. However, we anticipate that the colors of the production versions of Noir, Luna and Sol will be Black, Silver, and White at their base, without a wrap.”

These pictures are what the Noir looks like without a wrap. It is admittedly cool to have the color contrast of matte black and gloss black though, a look that would be sacrificed if buying it unwrapped. Though the cost of having a professional remove a wrap and put on a new one will likely run you $2,500+ in this inflated economy. Clear coat should cost less in the long run but more up front unless there is a discount for buying the Aptera unwrapped.

• Gabe Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 9:55 am

Yeah, that idea of a discounted unwrapped vehicle has merit.

• John Malcom

August 11, 2021 at 3:20 pm

If you choose custom color you may be able to negotiate what you want. I am satisfied with a wrap applied by Aptera during normal production. The efficiency features of the Aptera far out way any concern I would have about the finish. (Function over form)

• Llewellyn Evans

August 25, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Are radiative cooling films to be used on the solar panels for the purpose of getting more power from the panels? Radi-cool or similar? They are cheap, light weight and increase solar panel efficiency.

It may also be possible to use them for radiating heat from the smooth body of the car as a plastic wrap.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 11, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Remember that the alpha prototypes are made of fiberglass – the production vehicles will be made of other composites that may or may not share common color from panel to panel. Some composites are not paintable and others are molded with color integrated into their surface resin layer.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 11, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Founder Steve explained in a recent video that the belly of the Aptera serves as the radiator – cooling channels do not run throughout the body. If you look closely at the belly rendering you’ll see that there’s a panel distinct from the rest of the body – note the connector-holes.

I believe it was CTO Nathan who said that the belly material has not yet been selected – that it might be aluminum.

• Ozman

August 12, 2021 at 6:02 am

IIRC the belly panel will also end up being the battery support tray. I’m not fully versed in how most EV’s are designed, but is the normal practice to enclose the batteries in a combustion resistant chamber? (If so I would imagine Aptera will follow suit.)

• Joseph Cook

August 12, 2021 at 6:06 am

And also to resist impingement.

• Leonard Nowak

August 12, 2021 at 6:34 am

In a video with Nathan, he said the composite, at least, is not combustible because inflammable ingredients are used in the composite recipe

• Ozman

August 12, 2021 at 10:41 am

@Leonard Nowak not combustible is good, but as Joseph mentions resisting impingement is probably more important, the composite can still melt.

• Leonard Nowak

August 12, 2021 at 5:33 am

I must have missed that comment about an aluminum belly considering that area is used for cooling, dent resistant body and the fact that the strength comes from the composite four piece composite capsule. In there lean manufacture I thought avoiding tooling for pressing a metal belly made sense???

Crash testing ahead too… to also validate assembled decisions!

But Aluminum is used in some framework I was told

We shall see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lots of “reality” fitting together in development!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now