Why

• Why

• David Clark

November 21, 2021 at 8:15 am

Why did Aptera miss the LA Auto show?

• Joshua Rosen

November 21, 2021 at 8:21 am

Shows are a waste of money, money which they don’t have. They have plenty of presence on YouTube, that’s where people get their information in the 21st century and doubly so when you are in a pandemic. Tesla has never done an auto show and even the legacy brands have scaled back. GM didn’t have a single EV at the LA auto show because there was no Cadillac or GMC booth.

• John Malcom

November 21, 2021 at 9:14 am

Joshua’s personal opinion of course as is all of the posts on the forum to include mine.

Joshua has not worked in the auto industry or he would know if auto companies of all sizes make the effort to participate in auto shows then it is “Worth it” Many auto shows serve as the coming out party for new models and a place to show concept autos to get buying public reaction from seeing the live vehicle. Auto shows help quantify regional preferences for the marketing people as well as the shows expose their products to large numbers and varieties of people in a short time. The attendance numbers can also help predict future sales when used in certain algorithms.

The LA show was scaled way back as CA is coming out of the COVID protocols. LA did not have a show last year. Many major automakers did not attend because of the expectation of small attendance.

Another factor bearing on EVs showing/not showing at standard auto shows is the growing plethora of separate EV shows. Exhibiting at these shows which are are in their infancy, but growing rapidly, are places where EV manufactures can exhibit to an audience that is focused on EVs and EV buying decisions. I attended an EV Week event in FL where I live. Even though expected to be a small show in a smaller city in the state, every major EV manufacturer, even Tesla, was there with large crews and providing test rides for their vehicles. This included GM! As mentioned below, most of the attendees were “Mature” people (I fall into this category) and with higher incomes. (Maybe not me so much!)

I believe Joshua is correct that Aptera wisely chose to expend their funds on Beta build and getting ready for production, which of course should be the priority in this phase of development for them. Another testament to their consistently effective management which will result in a competitive product in the market place at the right time.

Perhaps Aptera’s primary marketing target (Millennials and Gen Z) do get a lot of information from the net, but other demographics which have shown the preponderance of current EV Purchases are much older and don’t use net resources as much. Cases in point, I have attended three EV Events now and the majority of the people that show up are older, empty nesters that have the income to purchase EVs at their current, higher prices. These are the people that go to the shows and gather information for their buying decisions. Very few Millennials, Gen Z, or Gen X. And even fewer “Family units”

I am quite familiar with GM’s EV strategy which is evolving. There were good business and marketing reasons for not attending. GM is a special case because of their 2B unexpected expenditure to fix Bolt EV battery issues.

• Lou Verner

November 21, 2021 at 9:45 am

Perhaps there is another factor to be taken into consideration. Aptera’s stated production goal is to produce, at maximum, 40 hand-built vehicles per day. With some 13-15K reservations already on record, it will likely take them well into 2023 before these orders are fulfilled. Widespread exposure at such an event might be counterproductive if they end up getting more orders than they could possibly fulfill in the next two years. Better they go slow, get those ordered out to their loyal base and let them to the advertising to a wider audience. Unless the whole philosophical underpinnings change, Aptera will never be capable of mass production like other vehicles. Yes they are planning to replicate small assembly factories across the country and hopefully internationally, but this won’t happen overnight. In the meantime, IMHO, Team Aptera is wise to keep their entire focus on getting a quality product out to their loyal base in the next 6-12 months!

• kerbe2705

November 21, 2021 at 11:28 am

The theme of this year’s LA Auto Show is “The Electrification of Everything”. Many YouTube commentators have mentioned the fact that GM didn’t have a single EV on display – not even their Chevrolet EVs. In fact, GM showcased its performance ICEs with displays of cut-away engines.

https://laautoshow.com/floor-map/

• Joshua Rosen

November 21, 2021 at 12:29 pm

You are right that I haven’t worked in the auto industry, the closest that I’ve gotten to it is when I worked for Computervision which did CAD/CAM systems which were heavily used by the auto industry. They announced a computer that I designed at the CAD/CAM show in Detroit but that was 40 years ago. When I was consulting to Avid I did a couple of NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) shows where they introduced a video compression card that I designed, that was 30 years ago. I also did a COMDEX when I sold a Mac software product to a company that had a huge booth there, that was also in the 90s. The relevant experience from COMDEX was that I got the COMDEX flu, which almost everyone got because when you pack a hundred thousand people from all over the world together you get every virus in the world into the same building. There was no Covid then so no one died but it’s a lesson, you would have to be crazy to go into a packed hall today. In this century I attended the Supercomputer conference for about a dozen years but we stopped doing that a couple of years before Covid because it just wasn’t useful in a world where everyone is connected to everyone via the Internet, we noticed that startups stopped appearing there about 10 years ago all that was left was big companies that were still going out of habit.

Back in the 20th century big shows were the place where you could find out everything that was happening, there wasn’t an alternative. That’s all changed now, information is widely available and you can’t catch a deadly virus over the Internet. I’m of the opinion that Covid put the nail in the coffin of trade shows, they were already dying because they aren’t really relevant anymore but Covid caused them all to be cancelled last year and this year they are much diminished because last year gave everyone a chance to reevaluate if they were worth it.

Obviously this is just my opinion.

• Don Daniels

November 21, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Hey, I’m a late boomer looking to replace my 18 year old car with a “Rest of my life car” so I can afford to retire. I found Aptera on the web. Easy on us old foggies!

• Pistonboy Delux

November 21, 2021 at 5:53 pm

If you can’t say something nice about people, don’t refer to them at all.

• G Johns

November 21, 2021 at 9:28 am

Why waste time for a show when Beta’s need building.

The sooner they get on the road the sooner the public becomes aware.

• G Johns

November 21, 2021 at 8:23 pm

WHY did tesla just change the super charging rates from .10 to .12 cents to .38 to .45 cents per kilowatt? My Aptera will be getting full solar.

• Llewellyn Evans

November 21, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Why go to a car show and display Alpha vehicles that are nothing like the real thing and have squeeks, rattles bumps etc? Why display them to a room full of potential critics who will pick apart something that is Alpha not Gamma? Beats me…..🤓

• Shawn Cyr

November 22, 2021 at 7:00 am

Umm, Tesla has been to many auto shows- in Detroit, LA, Shanghai:

2015 Tesla Model S P85D: 2015 Detroit Auto Show Live Photos (yahoo.com)

Angry Tesla owner storms display at Shanghai auto show: ‘The brakes don’t work’ (autoblog.com)

Tesla generates an outsize buzz at LA auto show (detroitnews.com)

I was at the 2015 LA Auto Show to see the new P5 Elio prototype. Was also my first experience hands-on with a Model S. If memory serves their booth was not in the main hall, but strategically positioned just outside one of the main exhibit entrances, but still inside the building.

• Llewellyn Evans

November 22, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Yep, It can be done and there can be benefits ……. but there are also risks. It is a gamble.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 22, 2021 at 7:18 am

They did not “miss” the LA auto show. They were there, they just didn’t have a booth or car there. Apparently there wasn’t time logistically between moving factories and everything else going on.

• John Malcom

November 22, 2021 at 7:52 am

Thanks for letting us know! good to know this! How did they participate without a booth?

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now