What’s your Aptera evolution?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What’s your Aptera evolution?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What’s your Aptera evolution?

• What’s your Aptera evolution?

Henry Kitt updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 9 Members · 11 Posts
  • Philip Raymond

September 6, 2021 at 11:42 pm

For me, it’s starting with the 2 seater and maybe 4 years later, buying what I hope will be an available Aptera SUV. What’s yours?

• Philip Raymond

September 6, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Sorry for the nearly duplicate new discussions. Aptera’s website said I had a duplicate discussions, it took a few minutes for that warning to weedle its way to the website. If the administrator can kindly kill one of these, I would be very happy!

• GLENN ZAJIC

September 7, 2021 at 1:30 am

Two seater here too. Maybe pass it to my daughter if I like the sedan design or the SUV. I don’t think I can wait long enough for their truck – we’ll see. I want all wheel drive on the first, but it might be too much for my daughters 2nd car. I might have to remove the rear motor!

• Christopher May

September 7, 2021 at 11:49 pm

It all depends on the amount of solar panels available to the vehicle, and the overall efficiency.

If they come out with a 4 wheel car with 50+ miles per day of charge? I’ll be tempted to upgrade. Unless it would be cheaper to just replace the solar panels on my 3 wheeler, and get like 60+ a day. 😛

• Fanfare 100

September 8, 2021 at 4:23 pm

Now that you mention that, I should share with you some of my own observations. I have a 5-passenger Mitsubishi Mirage. I can easily drive to New Jersey from Virginia and back on the same piddly tank of gas and have driven between Ottawa and Delaware on one tank. The best gas mileage I’ve gotten is > 64 miles per gallon, and it’s not even an hybrid.

Ah, but then when I loaded it up with 2 more passengers and the AC on at full blast and an whole lot of luggage and musical instruments where it actually looked like a low-rider, I only got 47 miles per gallon and actually had to gas up once.

So, this is what I think may happen with Aptera’s future 5-seater sedan: You might actually get those 50 miles per daily charge, if it’s only you in the car. But if you load it up with the entire fam and your pet and the harp and that set of drums and and and … then you’ll likely get 30 miles per day on such occasions. I’m just extrapolating from my experience with my itty bitty trusty beloved 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 8, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Aerodynamic efficiency is central to Aptera’s design philosophy. I don’t think that an “SUV” form can be adapted to conform to that. Even going to four wheels will take a toll.

The Mercedes EQS has a drag coefficient of .20, and is one of the sleekest vehicles out there. If Aptera wants to do better than that on four wheels, they’ll need to taper the rear of the car vertically. Look at an image of the rear of the Riversimple prototype for an example of this.

My prediction is that Aptera’s four wheel car be similar to an elongated version of the Riversimple idea (think Lightyear for scale) possibly with podded or faired front wheels. It will offer more seating and cargo capacity than their original car, but I don’t see anything of similar dimensions to the typical SUV. It would just lose too much efficiency for solar panels to contribute any significant range.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Two 1000mi. fully equipped Aptera’s already in the queue. Not sure I need (or want) anything else. They will suffice & satisfy their purpose (& lust LOL) for me.

• George Hughes

September 8, 2021 at 10:07 pm

I’m 70 right now and I may be 72 before I get my Aptera, depending on how quickly they ramp up production. The Aptera will be my last new vehicle. I may keep my main driver – a Spark EV – for outings with multiple others and my old Dakota pickup I drive about 150 miles a year – but I hope to put at least 100,000 miles on it cruising through the backroads of northwest Georgia before I’m done.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Hoping for 2022.

I’m turning 58 in a few and I have to admit, this thing is something I am really looking forward to for all kinds of reasons. Can’t wait!

Has all the potential to be something big; both timely AND relevant IMHO.

Super Sweet too!

• Robert Klasson

September 9, 2021 at 2:29 am

We have two cars. My reserved Aptera will replace one of them. For the other I need something with at least four seats, at least 500 kg of payload capacity, towing capacity of at least 1000 kg, a range of 250 miles and the possibility to recharge/refuel at least 200 mph.

If Aptera launches a model that meets those requirements at a competitive overall cost of ownership, our second vehicle may also get an Aptera replacement eventually.

• Henry Kitt

September 9, 2021 at 10:16 pm

The 4 wheel Aptera starts with a prototype. When exactly do we anticipate that will be completed and unveiled? I expect 1.5 years after that unveil for first deliveries, given the knowledge gained from the first vehicle.

I’ll consider an Aptera SUV or sedan down the line but the speed at which they meet their vehicle pipeline will effect Aptera stock valuation heavily, which I find more interesting.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now