What options do you want

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What options do you want

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What options do you want

• Riley _

August 17, 2021 at 3:46 am

If aptera were to update the available options what would you want to see added. I would like to see a third seat option, vehicle to gride, expandable solar input port. Do you have any ideas?

• Michael Rennick

August 17, 2021 at 8:16 am

Ideally, I hope the initial focus is on robust design and high levels of reliability. That said, the following would be nice:

Vehicle to home power transfer

Valet/teenager mode that limits speed, acceleration (I have a 14 year old)

A nice sound system

Good backup cameras and top down view for parking

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 17, 2021 at 8:21 am

Homelink.

• John Malcom

August 17, 2021 at 8:48 am

What I want is a well engineered vehicle with robust reliability with on schedule production.

I am happy with what is offered now. It is an amazing vehicle!

I want no changes to the currently engineered vehicle that would cause even the smallest delay in a production vehicle

Those of you that want more bells and whistles can wait for the next iteration of the Aptera.

• BMW Bloch

August 25, 2021 at 2:57 am

agree with Malcom

• Riley _

August 25, 2021 at 3:36 am

Your viewpoint is shared by everyone here, Aptera must get a car shipped to customers first. Aptera strongly supports cunsumer repairability alot of optional equipment can be shipped to customers after receiving their car.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 30, 2021 at 5:08 am

I am with John.

V1 change nothing but keep a list of candidate ideas for later models.

• Ray Holan

September 25, 2021 at 8:38 am

Well spoken, John. Eyes on the prize. The scope creep that might occur in an attempt to address all possible options would delay production. That said, I think it’s wise to cast a wide net and hear about all the things we who are waiting for Aptera production are craving.

One issue I haven’t seen addressed in any of the discussion threads is the NVH (i.e. noise, vibration, and harshness) of the vehicle.

I was going to introduce NVH as a separate thread, but haven’t been able to figure out how to do that. if anyone can point me to the instructions on how to start a new thread/new discussion, I’d appreciate it.

Anyone who has driven or been a passenger in an EV knows that the absence of ICE in an EV makes road noise and the hum of the electronics easier to hear. I have owned an early 2000’s EV called the Gizmo. It was a lead-acid, three-wheeled single person EV with a fiberglas body. That experience taught me that there is a real symphony one can hear in that environment. I know the Aptera body is some sort of sandwich construction which should be much quieter than a single layer fiberglas body. Nevertheless, I’d be curious to hear how NVH is being addressed by the engineers. BTW

• Henry Kitt

September 25, 2021 at 9:48 am

You won’t hear any hum from electronics because of the in wheel motors being so separated from the cabin, that is something Aptera has said. I think they also said something positive about the insulation ability of the composites.

• Ray Holan

September 25, 2021 at 11:10 am

Thanks, for pointing out the location of motors being outside of the body pushes one source of noise further away from the interior. Glad to hear what you mentioned about the company’s comments about the insulation ability of composites also.

• Llewellyn Evans

September 25, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Hi Ray, Go to the discussions page and there are green buttons near the top of the page.

• Ray Holan

September 26, 2021 at 5:55 am

Wow. Hiding in plain sight! Thanks for pointing out the buttons. As a relatively new member here, I believe they did not show up immediately after I created my account. Appreciate the help.

• George Hughes

August 17, 2021 at 9:11 am

Okay, so I like comfort so all the basics like power windows, locks and doors. A really comfortable seat and access to the motor controller/programming which would allow the creation of apps like my proposed “Parade App,” the ability to drive doors-up at speeds under 25 mph (that’s about when wind pressure will close them hard.), an app that will increase the top speed to 125 mph (up from the limited 110 mph), and compatibility with what I’ll call a ‘follow me’ app.

Follow me is intended first as the app that lets you bring along a four-wheeled self-powered trailer that is tethered electronically to Aptera. Obviously, the self-powered trailer would be an EV, complete with its own power supply.

Follow me could also work to ‘lead’ a second Aptera making it the poor man’s level 2+ driving by empowering two, three or four Aptera to follow, in close order, a lead Aptera in most terrains in an electronically tethered ‘car-train.’

The development of the follow-me app initiative ought to be promoted by Aptera as an industry effort to broaden the concept. Imagine entities like Uber and Lyft, who could pick you up at your favorite club and shuttle both you and your Aptera safely home.

It would be great if there is a digital key or door into the Aptera’s operating system that would make it easy to diddle with the controller’s options in the app environment. (By that I mean the standard operating system would remain unchanged but when you run under an app, it is basically operating under the control of special operating system mode that leaves the standard intact. To restore to normal, turn off, then turn on the OS.

Also vehicle to vehicle battery connections for charging ought to be set up. If you ‘ve got V2V, you can presumably connect to a home battery storage system that will take care of the V2G connections.

I like the idea of the valet mode.

And in deference to John Malcolm, the things sought at this point is just a backdoor into the software for add-on apps that will allow for future development.

I kind of figure that Aptera, while dedicated to ‘right to repair’ is still somewhat concerned about leaving the OS of the Aptera totally open to tinkerers who will play with things like torque-vectoring to the point of making an error that would disable the vehicle.

Aptera’s CTO Nathan Armstrong suggested they are looking at how to open the OS up to the Aptera owners but I’ve not heard any specifics in this context. I am encouraging Aptera to make the software accessible through the creation of specific apps.

• Scott Price

August 17, 2021 at 5:38 pm

1) Single piece side windows: Assuming that they still cannot do a full height retractable door window, I would appreciate the option of a full single piece fixed window that eliminates the large lateral visual blockers that currently exist in the split side windows design. Understood that it would not be retractable. This has other secondary benefits in that it should require no structural changes, significantly simplifies parts, reduces weight a bit, and can slightly improve aerodynamics.

2) Third seat: If possible, I would like a third seat to replace the center console. Essentially, the two passenger seats would be narrower than the driver seat, with three seats side by side. This option is unlikely to be viable due to space constraints and due to the vehicle’s low payload capacity (for 3 passengers plus some cargo), but you asked and this is a wish list. πŸ™‚

• Riley _

August 17, 2021 at 11:35 pm

I think a stationary single piece side window is an excellent option its simple, cost savings and lighter weight. A bench seat can easily fit in place of the two seats and center console and fit 3 people.

• Peter Jorgensen

August 20, 2021 at 11:37 am

I think we can get together after it’s built and get a custom order of windows made through a third-party supplier if we’re that excited about solid windows. The split bar measures 1.5″ in the current design FYI.

• Scott Price

August 20, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Peter, yes it may need to come to that for those owners who value good exterior field of view. However, I personally would not want to go through all of the huge time, effort, and cost of custom developing a new retrofit window for a production vehicle. Lots of considerations regarding post-production removal of the current large frame, new window seals with different alignment, removing unnecessary parts, etc. I would strongly prefer that it be an option for direct order from the factory at Aptera (that I am willing to pay extra for, even though in reality it should cost them less to produce than the much more complex current system with double window sections, support frame, more seals, electric motors, retraction/alignment components, and operation controls). 1.5″ at only 1 foot laterally away from your eyes is definitely a field of view blocker, and I anticipate it will at minimum be annoying or distracting. Many are not concerned since they are more into the numerical tech specs than the overall driving experience and/or just want it produced as is sooner rather than better a little later, which is completely cool for their priorities. Personally, if I could change just one thing about the otherwise terrific Aptera, it would be this.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 21, 2021 at 9:02 am

being able to open window is great for letting out heat thats been building up in car in parking lot over hours, air outlet at rear helps but it maybe wont be enough like in normal cars, otherwise one would have to turn up AC which drains driving range.

in the old forum, there were window designs including one that allowed moving window manually like a minivan door, with the open/close sliding rail on the inside of car, and glass/polycarbonate pane sliding over the rear of car. another might have been a hinge that allowed top part of window pop out and sit next to door outside the car.

current seems to have driver moving head away from window to prevent the line from blocking as much vision, and it maybe not too bad after all, but these alternate windows may also improve areodynamics and weight by not requiring a relatively straight line storage space for small window to sit in when its brought down. also if idea of using polycarbonate or whatever that aircraft plastic is, instead of glass, becomes a thing, then maybe the window can be more round shaped for better areodynamics

• Ozman

August 21, 2021 at 9:17 am

It’s not just an “air outlet” it is part of a powered fan and duct system, that will automatically run (Powered by some of the solar input.) to ventilate and stabilize the interior temperature.

• Paul Evans

August 17, 2021 at 10:15 pm

A HUD

• Peter Jorgensen

August 20, 2021 at 11:37 am

I built one for my subaru and have no problem building a good one for the Aptera too.

• Joshua Vance

September 25, 2021 at 5:50 pm

You have a video link or anything?

• Robert Klasson

August 18, 2021 at 2:40 am

Like the OP, I would also like to see the option to connect external solar panels. I would also like a tow hook option.

Even if they dont have time to work on the actual options, I hope they add support for if from the start (mounting points in the rear for a tow hook and slighly oversized or expandable solar charge controller to handle more solar) so it’s possible to retrofit all Apteras when/if the options become available.

• Riley _

August 18, 2021 at 3:38 am

The max stock solar output is 700 wats, if you were to tap directly into that charge controller with a handfull of solar panels and go over lets say 1,000 wats of input would it fry the charge controller or just max out its limmit and charge at whatever it can manage. This kind of flexibility is very valuable, I am sure someone will make it work if aptera doesn’t do it from the factory.

• Randy J 20820

August 19, 2021 at 4:54 am

You mentioned the ability to add an external solar panel. Flexible or rigid would be great. Especially handy if I don’t want to block my rear view. I find myself driving with my left arm hanging out the window. Didn’t really notice I do that until I ordered a vehicle where we can’t roll the window down. If only there was a way?

Also, would a sunroof completely destroy the aerodynamics or could it be an option? I would order it.

• Ozman

August 19, 2021 at 6:07 am

Randy j. I would think that it would greatly compromise the strength of the safety provided to the main body.

• Peter Jorgensen

August 20, 2021 at 11:38 am

The sunroof in my subaru weighs about 150 lbs. That’s a lot.

• George Hughes

September 24, 2021 at 10:47 pm

While it will totally destroy the aerodynamics, at speeds below 15-20 mph, for the open-air experience I’m thinking one can cruise around doors up. I’ve likened traveling doors up to rolling coal with a Cummings diesel powered Ram.

I just hope if they have a ‘chime’ to remind me of an open door, it only does so for the first 20-seconds.

I also think ‘doors up’ rolling will be a great way to string banners on the Aptera when in “Parade Dress” … as per this image of my Aptera with reservation #

• Rick McKnight

August 18, 2021 at 4:00 am

I’m thinking a lot smaller than you guys. I would simply love a custom fit car cover. The Aptera is such a unique shape, and limited production, I doubt anyone else will be making a cover.

My area is fairly dusty with lots of pollen, which makes a cover a must.

• George Hughes

August 18, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Would your car-cover feature cut-outs for the solar panels?

• Andrew Ball

August 19, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Maybe a car cover with clear panels. Would reduce charging rate but might be good in the snow?

• Paul Rowe

August 20, 2021 at 7:13 am

Aside from what is offered, of which I only want the stereo and off-road options, I would like to have a fully adjustable seat. After several spinal fusions an adjustable, comfortable seat is more important than most other options. Seat adjustability, along with entry/exit ability, has done more to determine the last few vehicles I bought than any other considerations.

• STEVEN Montana

September 6, 2021 at 6:58 pm

I’m with Paul R. The seats need to be very comfortable and adjustable. Range is a competitive advantage for this car which won’t mean much if the seats are uncomfortable for long drives.

• Ravi Gupta

August 20, 2021 at 8:55 am

Heated steering wheel πŸ™‚

For my dog: Can the second seat be easily removed or can the back go down forward and flat?

• Raj Giandeep

August 20, 2021 at 4:04 pm

+1 for heated steering wheel

• Donald Kraper

August 20, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Interior ambient lighting would be sweet.

Nice splash for little cost and little effort.

August 21, 2021 at 8:44 am

ideally such extra options should be not glued into the car but rather something that can be tied or clipped on and removed as easily, so people can buy and switch in factory or aftermarket textures such as wood/stone/cloth etc based around a platform for compatibility with parts of car ex. piece for armrest, another for dashboard, etc. this would offer a personalization game unlike any other car.

• GREG MIRICH

August 20, 2021 at 3:36 pm

I would like to see APTERA have TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 20, 2021 at 4:48 pm

I believe Chris stated somewhere that they would have TPMS.

A port for alternative solar charging options should be included and not cause much of a delay in production.

Some link to cameras for security & recording would be nice option.

• Riley _

August 20, 2021 at 7:11 pm

I would like to have the option to not have TPMS, I’ve had several vehicles where the batteries had died and an annoying light and chime constantly reminds me I need to pay the dealer $400 to replace them. At the very least if aptera comes standard with TPMS make it not annoying when they inevitably go out.

• Harry Parker

August 21, 2021 at 6:52 pm

In the future, I’d suggest going to an ordinary tire store for anything related to tires and brakes. They would cost a fraction of what your stealer/dealer charged. I see they are $42 each at Walmart and under $40 on Amazon.

• Riley _

August 21, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Had bad luck with Amazon the set i got died within 6 months, my experience probably isn’t the norm. I ended up removing the light and speaker inside the instrument cluster. Since aptera will have all info on screen that won’t be an option.

• Binh Cheung

September 25, 2021 at 12:20 pm

An indirect TPMS would be better I think. System based on wheel speed via abs ring works great and is easy to reset compared to a in tire direct TPMS. I have indirect on my 2015 FIT and 2016 Miata and don’t have any issues. So easy to reset too, holding down a button for 5seconds.

• Trekkie

August 21, 2021 at 7:26 pm

These are things its unclear if the car has or doesn’t have. So if they have it, cool, but here’s my wish list.

A Good Sound System with an option for a better one. Who wants to drive 1000 miles with no sound system?

Apple Carplay/Android Auto integratoin don’t waste money designing a radio/entertainment system, leverage the industry stuff worked great in my Bolt.

Homelink. Don’t make me mar that gorgeous interior with a stupid 1970s remote.

If the seats adjust, they’re powered. I can’t believe my chevy bolt didn’t have power seats and I’m tall and wife is short and it’s enough to cause injury if I don’t notice and jump into the car. Like scream for help for someone to release the seat as a leg and gut get wedged.

can be driven with a regular car license doesn’t need a motorcycle license.

• Donald Kraper

August 22, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Regarding powered seats I dont think thats even being considered.

If I remember correctly, Chris mentioned that seats weigh too much when powered and plush.

I am cool with not having a powered couch to sit in when driving, as long as its comfortable. We’ve seen a number of desk chairs using breathable materials that are not only light wieght, but (reasonably) comfortable too.

• Riley _

August 22, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I hope powered seats are an option for those that need them. I personally like manual seats, my wife likes to move the seat max forward while I drive max back. The problem with electric seats is how slow they move and i find myself awkwardly standing outside the car pressing the seat adjustment till I can fit. A manual seat can just be quickly slammed back.

• Fanfare 100

August 22, 2021 at 4:38 pm

I see powered seats as a luxury feature. But i’m also inclined to think that I would wish to conserve the battery as much as possible and simply move the seat around manually, which, as you stated, is faster anyhoo. If in my other car when I move the power seats and ther lights dim I assume that means that it is drawing a considerable amount of power.

I believe the lights will already be LED lights, which is good. I assume the interior will also be LED lights. -for maximum efficiency.

• Trekkie

August 24, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Powered seats might not be the right thing for what I want then. What I want is a seat that is adjustable without me having to climb halfway into the car and grab a black bar under the seat to push it back.

If there were grabbers on the top like say in a coupe where you can flip the seat forward/adjust it without having to get in great. But the 1970s bar under the seat you squeeze while seated and shimmy around….please no. it makes it a problem where the short person by over half a foot if they don’t put the seat back the tall person gets crunched and sometimes can’t reach the stupid bar under the seat

It sounds stupid but it was a big problem sharing a car with my wife when our Bolt didn’t have memory seats, so that is why I say power seats. when I’m walking up with my key, know who’s getting in. easy entry.

This can’t be that big of a battery killing feature, I do get the weight trade off, but a power seat that adjusts once before you get in, would be preferred. It’s not much of a luxury item anymore, it’s on most average cars.

• Ryan Carter

August 24, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Software speed limiter (with password lock)

Snap-on side-view mirrors; maybe mounting over the side view cameras. (in case of camera failure, or, state laws requiring side mirrors)

Custom, full-body, snow cover

• Dan Roberts

August 24, 2021 at 2:36 pm

The biggest option I want is a vehicle as soon as possible. As previously discussed any option that delays initial production is a nonstarter for me. I want this company to thrive. To do that Aptera must have vehicles in the wild where people can see them function. I can not shout this loud enough. The survival of Aptera will be based upon their ability to get a well-engineered functional product to market as soon as possible. Aptera can improve on the fly. OTA updates are key. Simple well thought out design will allow for improvements in the future. Time is of the essence! Go Aptera!

• Cameron Chisholm

August 24, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Some good asks here (+another for the heated steering wheel). The two primary things I’m keeping an eye on are:

Handling – It doesn’t need to corner like a Porsche, but it has to be fun to drive through the twisties (my current daily driver is a MINI Cooper S)

Autonomous Sensors – I know Level 2 is the immediate goal, but I hope there will be a path beyond that as things mature. Bonus points if every Aptera has mounts/wiring for 8 cameras and a good spot for Tesla’s FSD computer πŸ™‚

• Christopher May

August 24, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned a regular old plug-in yet. Run/charge whatever you want, then let the solar panels to off the battery once more. πŸ˜›

• Riley _

August 25, 2021 at 1:03 am

I remember someone asked that question and the response was that there will be a standard 120v outlet. Can someone confirm this?

• Harry Parker

August 25, 2021 at 6:57 am

πŸ™‚ Yes, in a Steve Fambro interview video and in the old detailed FAQ spreadsheet they wrote they plan to include a simple 120 volt (or 240 volt for countries that don’t use 120) AC inverter and the country’s standard outlet. It will probably be no more than 1500 watts. They were still looking into suppliers and size options last I heard about this, which was months ago.

• Robert Klasson

August 24, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I would like an extra set of wheels for the winter. Most people here in northern Europe use different tires in the winter for better grip on snow and ice (required by law).

• Harry Parker

August 25, 2021 at 7:02 am

Buying an extra set of wheels for snow tires should be no problem, as the Aptera will use R16 wheels, a common standard size.

• Cameron Chisholm

August 28, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Even better they’re all covered so there’s no need to invest in nice looking alloy wheels for your snow tire set. Cheap steelies should do the trick. This will be one of the first accessories I get for my Aptera considering winter lasts almost half the year here (NW MN).

• Noah Blumenthal

August 25, 2021 at 3:47 am

1. Ditto Dan Roberts, keep on schedule.

2. If keeping with schedule, count me among those wanting power (and memory) seats. Ideally Aptera would sense which key is approaching / opening the driver’s door and adjust to memory position of that driver.

• Riley _

August 26, 2021 at 3:34 am

I have a model 3 and it can’t differentiate between my phone and my wife’s phone. Do any other car companies do that, Is it programed to a specific key? I suppose I can find a taller wife Hmmmmm…..

August 31, 2021 at 11:30 am

it can be a screen pop up that happens if you set more than one preset, and preset can include stuff like audio preset, pedal input vs output maps, functions of programable hardware switches(a concept from the old forum) or whatever accessories etc

• Toby Miller

August 26, 2021 at 11:22 am

I think this shouldn’t have to be said, but just to be sure it is repeated, a nice sound system is a hard requirement for any car I’d ever consider. It’s part of what I enjoy about driving in general.

Apple’s Carplay integration is great, and one of the very first things I look for in a new car these days. To be honest, if there’s no Apple Carplay integration I’ll probably postpone my purchase until there is. I have hated (not disliked, but hated) every car manufacturer’s screen interface that I have ever tried (and that includes Tesla).

I hadn’t considered a third seat, but if that were possible it would be SO awesome.

• Philip Raymond

August 29, 2021 at 12:01 am

I asked Aptera directly about this, no reply yet. It should be standard, not an option, but I want and I think the Aptera desperately needs reverse automatic braking, a.k.a.-RAB. Most mass produced vehicles have this, but it’s nowhere to be found in Aptera’s spec sheet. RAB is usually implemented by 4 very small (less than one inch diameter) radar sensors in a rear bumper. With the full solar option, this is a necessity! I’ll post any response I get from Aptera, when I get it.

• Ronster

August 30, 2021 at 4:23 am

Add an accessory lightweight trailer to accompany the existing tent. Two bikes can be attached (perhaps a small electric wheel pump), pullout grille, warmers & fridge, small storage space for clothes/laundry. Power from Aptera batteries with possible added solar space off trailer.

P.S. You could design, spec them outsource it completely but as an OEM matching accessory (for those panicking that it’s only a distraction ie. the “where’s my Aptera” FIRST, folk). πŸ˜‰

Finally, and separately, think of how the hull Hydronic heating & cooling of batteries would work in an electric boat (small Aptera branded one) and the same idea of an in hub motor style propeller in that regard. Awesome.

• Ronster

August 30, 2021 at 7:17 am

BTW, with Hydronic heating & cooling (radiant) of the entire cabin within the composite you may not need windows that open either. MELT/keeps snow off the car too.

• Bojan Majdandzic

August 30, 2021 at 10:02 am

A winter package: a set of extra wheels with winter tires, snow chains, snow proof wheel fenders and something to clear easily the solar cells from snow.

Viewing 1 - 25 of 49 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now