What Options Would You Want?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What Options Would You Want?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What Options Would You Want?

• What Options Would You Want?

Posted by Riley on August 15, 2021 at 2:05 pm

If aptera were to update the available options what would you want to see added. I would like to see a third seat option, vehicle to gride, expandable solar input port. Do you have any ideas?

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Wyatt Andrews.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    wanders78746gmail-com replied 1 year, 3 months ago 150 Members · 210 Replies
  • 210 Replies
  • What Options Would You Want?

• kevin-lyda

August 15, 2021 at 2:05 pm

I’ll be coming to an Aptera from a Tesla Model 3. The key feature in my Model 3 is Dog Mode. It’s incredibly useful and one I use on lots of drives.

Please tell me Aptera will implement it. The key features are climate control for the dog, turning off some security sensors and a display saying Dog Mode is on – so nosy people will know the dog is safe. I suspect I’m not alone in using this feature.

• michael-rennick

August 17, 2021 at 8:16 am

Ideally, I hope the initial focus is on robust design and high levels of reliability. That said, the following would be nice:

Vehicle to home power transfer

Valet/teenager mode that limits speed, acceleration (I have a 14 year old)

A nice sound system

Good backup cameras and top down view for parking

• kerbe2705

August 17, 2021 at 8:21 am

Homelink.

• john-malcom

August 17, 2021 at 8:48 am

What I want is a well engineered vehicle with robust reliability with on schedule production.

I am happy with what is offered now. It is an amazing vehicle!

I want no changes to the currently engineered vehicle that would cause even the smallest delay in a production vehicle

Those of you that want more bells and whistles can wait for the next iteration of the Aptera.

• george-hughes

August 17, 2021 at 9:11 am

Okay, so I like comfort so all the basics like power windows, locks and doors. A really comfortable seat and access to the motor controller/programming which would allow the creation of apps like my proposed “Parade App,” the ability to drive doors-up at speeds under 25 mph (that’s about when wind pressure will close them hard.), an app that will increase the top speed to 125 mph (up from the limited 110 mph), and compatibility with what I’ll call a ‘follow me’ app.

Follow me is intended first as the app that lets you bring along a four-wheeled self-powered trailer that is tethered electronically to Aptera. Obviously, the self-powered trailer would be an EV, complete with its own power supply.

Follow me could also work to ‘lead’ a second Aptera making it the poor man’s level 2+ driving by empowering two, three or four Aptera to follow, in close order, a lead Aptera in most terrains in an electronically tethered ‘car-train.’

The development of the follow-me app initiative ought to be promoted by Aptera as an industry effort to broaden the concept. Imagine entities like Uber and Lyft, who could pick you up at your favorite club and shuttle both you and your Aptera safely home.

It would be great if there is a digital key or door into the Aptera’s operating system that would make it easy to diddle with the controller’s options in the app environment. (By that I mean the standard operating system would remain unchanged but when you run under an app, it is basically operating under the control of special operating system mode that leaves the standard intact. To restore to normal, turn off, then turn on the OS.

Also vehicle to vehicle battery connections for charging ought to be set up. If you ‘ve got V2V, you can presumably connect to a home battery storage system that will take care of the V2G connections.

I like the idea of the valet mode.

And in deference to John Malcolm, the things sought at this point is just a backdoor into the software for add-on apps that will allow for future development.

I kind of figure that Aptera, while dedicated to ‘right to repair’ is still somewhat concerned about leaving the OS of the Aptera totally open to tinkerers who will play with things like torque-vectoring to the point of making an error that would disable the vehicle.

Aptera’s CTO Nathan Armstrong suggested they are looking at how to open the OS up to the Aptera owners but I’ve not heard any specifics in this context. I am encouraging Aptera to make the software accessible through the creation of specific apps.

• Scott

August 17, 2021 at 5:38 pm

1) Single piece side windows: Assuming that they still cannot do a full height retractable door window, I would appreciate the option of a full single piece fixed window that eliminates the large lateral visual blockers that currently exist in the split side windows design. Understood that it would not be retractable. This has other secondary benefits in that it should require no structural changes, significantly simplifies parts, reduces weight a bit, and can slightly improve aerodynamics.

2) Third seat: If possible, I would like a third seat to replace the center console. Essentially, the two passenger seats would be narrower than the driver seat, with three seats side by side. This option is unlikely to be viable due to space constraints and due to the vehicle’s low payload capacity (for 3 passengers plus some cargo), but you asked and this is a wish list. ????

• paul-evans

August 17, 2021 at 10:15 pm

A HUD (Head Up Display)

• robert-klasson

August 18, 2021 at 2:40 am

Like the OP, I would also like to see the option to connect external solar panels. I would also like a tow hook option.

Even if they dont have time to work on the actual options, I hope they add support for if from the start (mounting points in the rear for a tow hook and slighly oversized or expandable solar charge controller to handle more solar) so it’s possible to retrofit all Apteras when/if the options become available.

• richard-mcknight

August 18, 2021 at 4:00 am

I’m thinking a lot smaller than you guys. I would simply love a custom fit car cover. The Aptera is such a unique shape, and limited production, I doubt anyone else will be making a cover.

My area is fairly dusty with lots of pollen, which makes a cover a must.

• 3dDweeb

August 20, 2021 at 7:13 am

Aside from what is offered, of which I only want the stereo and off-road options, I would like to have a fully adjustable seat. After several spinal fusions an adjustable, comfortable seat is more important than most other options. Seat adjustability, along with entry/exit ability, has done more to determine the last few vehicles I bought than any other considerations.

• rav_canada

August 20, 2021 at 8:55 am

Heated steering wheel 🙂

A foldable flat or easily removable passenger seat.

• donald-kraper

August 20, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Interior ambient lighting would be sweet.

Nice splash for little cost and little effort.

• greg-mirich

August 20, 2021 at 3:36 pm

I would like to see APTERA have TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

• Trekkie

August 21, 2021 at 7:26 pm

These are things its unclear if the car has or doesn’t have. So if they have it, cool, but here’s my wish list.

A Good Sound System with an option for a better one. Who wants to drive 1000 miles with no sound system?

Apple Carplay/Android Auto integratoin don’t waste money designing a radio/entertainment system, leverage the industry stuff worked great in my Bolt.

Homelink. Don’t make me mar that gorgeous interior with a stupid 1970s remote.

If the seats adjust, they’re powered. I can’t believe my chevy bolt didn’t have power seats and I’m tall and wife is short and it’s enough to cause injury if I don’t notice and jump into the car. Like scream for help for someone to release the seat as a leg and gut get wedged.

can be driven with a regular car license doesn’t need a motorcycle license.

• ryan-carter

August 24, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Software speed limiter (with password lock)

Snap-on side-view mirrors; maybe mounting over the side view cameras. (in case of camera failure, or, state laws requiring side mirrors)

Custom, full-body, snow cover

• cameron-chisholm

August 24, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Some good asks here (+another for the heated steering wheel). The two primary things I’m keeping an eye on are:

Handling – It doesn’t need to corner like a Porsche, but it has to be fun to drive through the twisties (my current daily driver is a MINI Cooper S)

Autonomous Sensors – I know Level 2 is the immediate goal, but I hope there will be a path beyond that as things mature. Bonus points if every Aptera has mounts/wiring for 8 cameras and a good spot for Tesla’s FSD computer 🙂

• Roshiyu

August 24, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned a regular old plug-in yet. Run/charge whatever you want, then let the solar panels to off the battery once more. 😛

• robert-klasson

August 24, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I would like an extra set of wheels for the winter. Most people here in northern Europe use different tires in the winter for better grip on snow and ice (required by law).

• noah-blumenthal

August 25, 2021 at 3:47 am

1. Ditto Dan Roberts, keep on schedule.

2. If keeping with schedule, count me among those wanting power (and memory) seats. Ideally Aptera would sense which key is approaching / opening the driver’s door and adjust to memory position of that driver.

• toby-miller

August 26, 2021 at 11:22 am

I think this shouldn’t have to be said, but just to be sure it is repeated, a nice sound system is a hard requirement for any car I’d ever consider. It’s part of what I enjoy about driving in general.

Apple’s Carplay integration is great, and one of the very first things I look for in a new car these days. To be honest, if there’s no Apple Carplay integration I’ll probably postpone my purchase until there is. I have hated (not disliked, but hated) every car manufacturer’s screen interface that I have ever tried (and that includes Tesla).

I hadn’t considered a third seat, but if that were possible it would be SO awesome.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 29, 2021 at 12:01 am

I asked Aptera directly about this, no reply yet. It should be standard, not an option, but I want and I think the Aptera desperately needs reverse automatic braking, a.k.a.-RAB. Most mass produced vehicles have this, but it’s nowhere to be found in Aptera’s spec sheet. RAB is usually implemented by 4 very small (less than one inch diameter) radar sensors in a rear bumper. With the full solar option, this is a necessity! I’ll post any response I get from Aptera, when I get it.

• Ronnie

August 30, 2021 at 4:23 am

Add an accessory lightweight trailer to accompany the existing tent. Two bikes can be attached (perhaps a small electric wheel pump), pullout grille, warmers & fridge, small storage space for clothes/laundry. Power from Aptera batteries with possible added solar space off trailer.

P.S. You could design, spec them outsource it completely but as an OEM matching accessory (for those panicking that it’s only a distraction ie. the “where’s my Aptera” FIRST, folk). ????

Finally, and separately, think of how the hull Hydronic heating & cooling of batteries would work in an electric boat (small Aptera branded one) and the same idea of an in hub motor style propeller in that regard. Awesome.

• Ronnie

August 30, 2021 at 7:17 am

BTW, with Hydronic heating & cooling (radiant) of the entire cabin within the composite you may not need windows that open either. MELT/keeps snow off the car too.

• bojan-majdandzic

August 30, 2021 at 10:02 am

A winter package: a set of extra wheels with winter tires, snow chains, snow proof wheel fenders and something to clear easily the solar cells from snow.

• bojan-majdandzic

August 30, 2021 at 10:19 am

I would like to have floodlights/fog lights mounted low on the front fenders. For myself to have a clear few where my front wheels are in the dark, and for oncoming traffic to be able to estimate the width of the Aptera in the dark. It would be nice to have a low and high intensity light depending on the situation and need. The normal lights seem not to be able to shred any light on the outside part of the front fenders.

Page 1 of 8

The discussion ‘What Options Would You Want?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now