What is the range loss of the off-road versions?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What is the range loss of the off-road versions?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What is the range loss of the off-road versions?

• What is the range loss of the off-road versions?

DON RASKY updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 8 Members · 11 Posts
  • DON RASKY

November 18, 2021 at 12:11 pm

I would like to use the Aptera to explore the many fire roads that lead to campsites in Southern California. I would also like to travel regardless of weather be it rain or snow. Given these interests, I am curious how much of a loss in range I will incur by adding a rear wheel motor and/or the off-road package. I LOVE THE APTERA CONCEPT. I just want to get my order right.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 18, 2021 at 12:24 pm

The rough estimate is 10% for AWD and 10% for off-road. Cabin heating would also cut into this as will being nice to the battery (trying to stay in the 20-80% range most of the time). As I similarly will use these packages and drive in winter I simply take the range in miles and assume it will be my real world range in km (for me the 400 mile/km version is still good).

• Leonard Nowak

November 18, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Oh I only read “ figure about 10% hit for AWD

in the FAQ spreadsheet

Since we don’t knowc what all is in the off road kit and weight, hopefully a much smaller range hit at slower off road speeds unless there are lots of greater than 6% inclines to deal with

• Paul Kirchner

November 18, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Not to derail the topic but honestly, what do you think Aptera means by off-road? It’s gotta be a huge stretch of the concept of off-road to put a vehicle like Aptera into it. I’m thinking off-road in an Aptera to be a mildly convoluted gravel road, certainly nothing like a proper 4×4 would call off-roading.

• Lou Verner

November 18, 2021 at 2:27 pm

That was my interpretation Paul and it’s for those mild to maybe moderately convoluted gravel roads on grade that I’ll be encountering in WNC that I ordered the off-road package. That extra couple of inches of clearance and toughened wheel covers will hopefully help.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 18, 2021 at 3:03 pm

My interpretation of intent:

Standard Aptera: Goes anywhere a Honda Civic can.

Off-road Aptera: Goes anywhere a Subaru Outback Wilderness goes. (9.5″ ground clearance and AWD with chunky tires. Will handle most moderate to easy trails but nothing hardcore) They said verbally in the FAQ I believe it was to enable the Aptera to get off the beaten path to places you normally don’t see most EVs.

Bear in mind, the unprotected belly is vulnerable to rock damage if you high-center it. Other than that it should be a lot better than most of the EVs on the market now short of a Rivian.

• Paul Kirchner

November 18, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Another EV manufacturer just posted their video on their idea of “off-road” of their EV.

The Rimac Nevera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYRpkl4cTU

• Lou Verner

November 18, 2021 at 4:59 pm

Was wondering why I’d never heard of the Nevera…until I heard the price tag! Impressive performance – will definitely make it my go-to off-road backup to the Aptera, which I will save for paved road transportation only 🙃

• kerbe2705

November 18, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Rimac (pronounced “reem-matz”) has a fine series of videos about their vehicles on YouTube.

• DON RASKY

November 18, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Yep. Pretty much I figured off road only meant dirt/gravel roads on the way to out of the way campgrounds. Southern California has a lot of fire roads in the national forests that are essentially graded dirt. Thanks for the video. I don’t plan to spin my Aptera quite so much as in the vid.

• Ron Miller

November 18, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Cool jacket! Hopefully Aptera will make some cool swag available – I have a shirt and hat but dare I say it – boring!!

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now