Interior options would you like in the Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Interior options would you like in the Aptera?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Interior options would you like in the Aptera?

• Interior options would you like in the Aptera?

Don Daniels updated 1 day, 12 hours ago 34 Members · 94 Posts
  • DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 7:44 pm

Me..

I would like to see

Electric seating adjustments

Electric steering wheel adjustments

Cool interior mood lighting with ability to change the colors

A star lit headliner option

Night vision option

Heads up display

Parking assist

• John Malcom

October 26, 2021 at 7:50 pm

The mantra of Aptera is efficiency. That means keeping the weight down as well as the aerodynamics. I would want no additional options that would add unnecessary weight or in any way detract from the efficiency of the vehicle or delay production or make the production cycle longer. And nothing that would increase the base model price.

Owners can add so many things after purchase to personalize.

I know this topic is a fun topic for us as we know that what is in the engineering design of Beta is what we will get in iteration 1.0

I know, old person buzz kill

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 8:02 pm

I understand and agree. But a lot buyers like myself would be willing to pay extra for those features. Other EVs have these features available, some are standard even.. minus the star lit headliner.

• John Malcom

October 26, 2021 at 8:20 pm

Depends on your definition of a lot. A certain volume of orders for a particular feature is needed to consider offering it. The process usually starts with a marketing survey to determine what features most of the market would like to see in a vehicle. Then marketing, engineering/production, and finance get together and prioritize a list taking into consideration the cost of including a feature, the potential revenue, and profit. (Remember, this is a company and to stay in business must make a profit) if the feature makes the cut it is included in the next engineering design. If it doesn’t make the cut and there is a significant number, then a third party will pick it up and offer as a mod.

If a feature is a deal breaker for a potential buyer, they usually go to a Manufacturer that offers that feature.

I think you will find the feature set of the Aptera is more than competitive with other EV manufacturers when the final version is released. Of course no other EV manufacturer can offer a model at short of 26K or one that will go 1000 MI on a single charge, or one that can get up to 40mi per day of solar charge.

Pretty impressive to me!

• Curtis Cibinel

October 26, 2021 at 9:14 pm

I agree with John. We dont need extra fluff or complexity delaying production. A minimal base vehicle and open right to repair/customize is best. I care nothing about those features and would rather have the vehicle be affordable than try to be a budget version of the EQS (insane luxury / tech). Aptera already has more customization options than Tesla and too many options adds complexity to the ramp.

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 9:35 pm

I feel you but the the features i named like Night vision option, Heads up display, and Parking assist, are just integrated into the computer technology of the vehicle screens and having a electric wheel titling and seating adjustments shouldn’t weigh too much i mean we are going into 2022 these features are standard in a lot of cars now. And having a comfortable driving position is important. Some people like my girlfriend who is 5ft5 may need to adjust the driving position or need the wheel to come closer to her because her arms are shorter. And a heads up display is fairly cheap and is very small. I’m open to high tech items and features as well.

• Don Daniels

November 22, 2021 at 9:12 am

Night vision / heads up might be nice driving up in the mountains at night with deer and elk crossing the road, but Safety Pilot/auto braking might cover the same issue. I have manual seat and steering wheel adjustments on my 2004 Sentra and they work just fine, why introduce more motors, wiring, and programming complexity into the mix. I actually preferred the manual crank windows on my older car to the electric windows on the newer one: simple, reliable, and you could set them exactly where you wanted them for parked cooling without 15 back and forth bleeps on the electric switch to get them right at 1/4” open. KISS principle.😙. Parking assist might be available as an OTA software update later on. Patience Grasshopper!

• kerbe2705

October 26, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Night vision?

• Llewellyn Evans

October 26, 2021 at 9:37 pm

And twin rail guns and an ejector seat and it has to fly and be a submarine ….. and go into outer space …. with warp coils. And it has to to tow a horse float and have a disco ball and a built in drone and have stealth and night vision and ……………..

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 9:39 pm

😂😂😂

• Llewellyn Evans

October 26, 2021 at 9:47 pm

🤣 Thank god you have a sense of humour.

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 9:49 pm

I see you want a Batmobile Aptera 😂

• Llewellyn Evans

October 26, 2021 at 9:58 pm

With Cat Woman driving it …. no not the cat woman that pushes a shopping trolley

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 10:00 pm

😂😂 right

• Llewellyn Evans

October 26, 2021 at 10:02 pm

We are sooooo broken. 😅I am stopping now before I go any further off track.

• DeVonte Graham

October 26, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Lol it’s okay bro hope you have a great day though wherever you might be.

• Bob Kirchner

October 27, 2021 at 11:40 am

Would totally have to be Eartha Kitt’s Catwoman though.

• Don Daniels

November 22, 2021 at 9:17 am

Use that built in drone to fly a mile ahead with a radar detector to check for speed traps. I’m guessing we might get pulled over on occasion just because Aptera looks like it’s speeding just sitting still, or the cop is curious and bored and wants to check out this head turning vehicle.

• Roshiyu

October 27, 2021 at 12:40 am

Let’s see. The Glowgo is confirmed, so I would like programmable RGB to chose our colour, instead of the default green.

The option to choose which metallic highlight we prefer in the interior. Coast and Codex both come with silver, while Vida is copper(Would love the copper with Coast).

And I think the rest you covered. 😛

• Riley -_-

October 27, 2021 at 12:51 am

One of the first modifications I will do is disable the Glowgo. I really hope that its an option in the cars settings. having a green light is illegal in most places and even if there is some kind of lopehole that allows an autocycle to have it I don’t wont to explain it to every police that uses it as an excuse to pull me over.

• DeVonte Graham

October 27, 2021 at 5:40 am

That would be cool i would like that too

• Joshua Caldwell

October 27, 2021 at 5:39 am

Round steering wheel

Heated Mirrors and Seat

Cupholders (haven’t seen any in the Alphas thus far)

USB & round electric ports (I don’t remember what they’re called since not used as cigarette lighters anymore)

* I not only use this for phone charging, but to keep my cooler active.

Night Vision (we have a ton of deer in the area)

Heads up display

* The last two are not practical since not common, but would be nice

• Curtis Cibinel

October 27, 2021 at 9:26 am

The wheel in current Alpha’s is roundish – I doubt we will have other options.
      Heated seats will be available – they will encourage this over cabin heating for efficiency. I think they are still hoping to be able to use the camera mirrors so no word on heated mirrors.

The alpha vehicles lack cupholders but they have stated they will be 2 in the center console

I’m quite sure i remember them saying about usb ports for device charging – not sure about wireless charging or the 12V DC (cigarette lighter)
      Not even sure what night vision is but safetypilot is a feature which should help avoid deers

HUD is something that hopefully can be added with third party accessories and is a relatively new concept

• Bob Kirchner

October 27, 2021 at 11:41 am

@Joshua Caldwell

Are you Me?

To your list I would only ad height adjustable driver’s seat (possibly by unbolting the seats and adding shims or something, if this keeps weight lower than having a more easily re-adjustable mechanism), and, as I have often mentioned, a passenger seat that folds flat for carrying long objects.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 27, 2021 at 8:19 pm

i was thinking about portable office chair too, maybe itd end up too heavy. definitely a interesting alternative than having seats everywhere.

it came from along lines of thinking of replacing screens like office screen, home screen, phone, TV etc with VR

laptop brick and E ink(no light eye strain or blue light, super energy efficient) based display in glasses, so virtual display anywhere and laptop is more portable, maybe with virtual keyboard. virtual display allows easier good posture and easier practice of geographic based memorization/reminder technique, something evolutionarily built into us. also am thinking of display being transported with optic wire and lens image compacted, for higher graphics image of larger display compacted into smaller image in glasses, which improves graphics plus includes a display that can be shared with those who dont have device (for whom those 2 things matter). apple air drop for all OS can also be wa to share stuff without showing a physical screen, while also serving as way to reference things like downloadable forums, docs, videos or web links etc. this is great for networking socialization and reporting incidents on scene. camera on glasses would have to be very apparent with light recording symbol, so people cant no consent record ex. confidential business meeting

i hate elons musks neuralink b/c its not like glasses you can take off when it gets hacked, and you have to trust the corp with you brain… and even if u dont buy it, others will and they have intellectual advantage despite not having the morals to not trust a corp with their brain. if they are so trusting they probably do anything their told for money, no morals at all, even if they had a back up way to pay the bills of at least a simple life.

October 31, 2021 at 6:10 pm

after market can make a structure that ties around the wheel. i commented that steering wheel should be removable and chained similar to race cars, to allow more compact less mass aerodynamic car while not making it hard to get in the car. chain keeps wheel attached to chassis so it doesn’t get lost or stolen b/c a guy decided to leave it out while getting in or brought it out, although i guess its fun to hang it in your room or office cubicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPV0wzXkpU can make steering wheel removable with a cover to flip out in a way to prevent accidental release

• Llewellyn Evans

November 1, 2021 at 3:03 am

accidental release 😂

• DeVonte Graham

October 27, 2021 at 5:43 am

I agree, would definitely like cup holders and yes i have a lot of deer in my area too, my mom actually hit one last year. We have a lot of dark backroads with no street lights.

• Ray Holan

October 27, 2021 at 6:28 am

You kicked off an interesting thread here, DeVonte.

I’m kind of a minimalist myself so I get where John is coming from. I even went to the extent of removing the passenger seat of my old 80s BMW to save weight!

Putting optional features on a wishlist is fine and dandy. Happy to have any many prospective Aptera owners get exactly what they want from the factory or be able to add it later as long as accommodating those options doesn’t slow down getting a final production version of the vehicle out into the world.

• DeVonte Graham

October 27, 2021 at 7:27 am

I agree, In my heart i just see the potential that this car has and i really think it’s going to change the automotive industry. Aptera is cool and stylish and will set the tone for the solar car industry. I’m looking at it from maybe a younger persons perspective a lot of young people are very tech driven these days. I also was looking at it from a competitive perspective. Aptera, being only a two seater is already stepping into a coupe market that isn’t very popular at the moment, unless you are talking like the chevy corvette or Dodge Challenger. So with Aptera only having two seats and everyone shifting towards wanting more SUVs at the moment, i feel like Aptera needs extra options available especially technology wise to give buyers even more interested in the product. I feel if the Aptera is high tech it will reach a even wider range of customers.

• Lou Verner

October 27, 2021 at 8:00 am

Welcome aboard DeVonte! As a new member to Aptera forum, you might find reviewing some of Aptera videos featuring Chris and Steve useful, especially where they review features already planned for Aptera Beta version (sorry, don’t have link). In that particular video there’s a Q&A section sent in from Aptera fans that indicate that things like cup holders, phone and accessory chargers/ports, seat warming, etc. are already in! I completely agree with your assessment that Aptera’s appeal to the younger, tech savvy set will be improved if the UI/UX (user interface/user experience) is as advanced/competitive as possible. To that end, I’ll throw in my own desire for HUD to be standard. Very much appreciate having display right in line of sight when driving!

• DeVonte Graham

October 27, 2021 at 8:18 am

That is great to hear! And I’ll go check that out thank you 😎

• Don Daniels

December 4, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Hey, some of us old fogies are techies too. My first computer was a Tandy Color Computer, followed by a Columbia PC Clone that came with MS-DOS 1.0. Did some serious programming on that in the DOS days. My only 2 seater to date was an Early 74 Datsun 260Z. Small Body, Big engine. Lots of fun until kids came along. Kids have flown the coupe and don’t need the extra seats for most things anymore, so minimalist, Eco-friendly and cheap to operate should last me the rest of my life. I turn a young 70 in February (and still flying charter jets), so should get a good 20-25 Years out of my solar Aptera bird.

October 27, 2021 at 9:06 pm

for those who didnt know: deer stop in place on road b/c they cant see b/c headlight blind them. they are too dumb to move back to where they came from when blinded. night vision is only considerable replacement for headlight if the directional headlight tech doesnt work reliably (that tech that uses self driving cameras to direct small beams of light away from other drivers and big animals). a simpler lighting system would auto very low beam when detecting animal. i guess audis is good enough, for some reason tata motors made twice the beams in their headlight in the latest land rover range rover land whale.

if u lack reaction time to brake and out maneuver deer just drive slower in the dark

ideally, i would wear nightvision https://theconversation.com/seeing-the-invisible-tiny-crystal-films-could-make-night-vision-an-everyday-reality-162615

• Peter Jorgensen

October 27, 2021 at 8:14 am

Aptera will come up with a reasonable package for interior options. As for myself I’ll add some extra things aftermarket if they aren’t included. The short list for me is as follows:

Blackvue cloud dashcam with parking mode (if Aptera doesn’t have this already)

Heated steering wheel (Maybe already included)

Heated seats (Already included apparently)

A HUD to display speed

A “boombox” soundboard based on canbus data so it can sound like the bubbleship from Oblivion or a jetsons car (For fun).

Possibly extra interior lighting

A black curtain behind the seats so I can stealth camp in the trunk – and also have trunk contents out of sight.

1000W inverter for running power tools, etc (Already included?)

Spare tire storage

• Curtis Cibinel

October 27, 2021 at 9:46 am

Blackvue cloud dashcam with parking mode (if Aptera doesn’t have this already)
      Ignoring the brand name this is essentially Tesla sentry mode. Given all the cameras I would hope this can be included or added via software.

Heated steering wheel (Maybe already included)
      Very likely included if they want to minimize use of cabin heating – not sure

Heated seats (Already included apparently)

99% sure they mentioned this in a Q&A – again minimizing cabin heating for efficiency

A HUD to display speed
      Hopefully doable with 3rd party. If we have an OBDII port these are about $50 on amazon and some have basic functions like speed with just internal GPS. I didnt realize these existed and now know what I’m getting my dad for christmas 🙂

A “boombox” soundboard based on canbus data so it can sound like the bubbleship from Oblivion or a jetsons car (For fun).
      Lol fart noises…. The infotainment controller is plenty powerful so this is kinda a nice to have feature or openness which was discussed in another thread. Having this kind of option directly in the infotainment software is possible but would not be something I would expect for a few years given priorities / engineering budgets.

Possibly extra interior lighting
      This is a fairly easy 3rd party thing to add

A black curtain behind the seats so I can stealth camp in the trunk – and also have trunk contents out of sight.
      The pet kit will obviously need an anchor point for the net so this should be relatively easy to add

1000W inverter for running power tools, etc (Already included?)
      This is often called V2L and I’m fairly sure they planned on this. not sure about 1000W but I would expect far more than the 100W I have on my current ICE car.

Spare tire storage
      They have said that more physical space exists under the current floor. It would be great to have an option for a spare but the more common approach is carrying a compressor and can tire goop. Spare tires are very rare in modern cars. Given the very low overall weight this would be a ton to add but I know people that are very uncomfortable without a spare.

October 27, 2021 at 8:29 pm

for airconditioning heater efficiency, privacy, preservation of interior materials against heat stress: window tint and automatic/manual thermal insulating cover curtain to protect from solar heat and to hold onto heat during cold to prevent need to turn on AirConditioning at high power when starting drive after long hours under sun in parking lot (energy usage difference counts especially in high efficiency cars), and hide objects inside car that currently make thief want to break window to steal things, it works like one large piece of curtain sliding on rails. Rear row occupants can also have window privacy especially with isolation from front row like maybach s class rolls royce bently option

• Don Daniels

November 22, 2021 at 9:26 am

I would like a cargo net so my suitcase and window cleaner can don’t join me up front in a sudden stop.

• DeVonte Graham

October 27, 2021 at 8:21 am

I love everything you stated

• Lou Verner

October 27, 2021 at 10:03 am

Regarding HUD, I would hope it would include posted speed limit, directional turn info and blind-spot warning in addition to current vehicle speed. All available on some current HUDs

October 27, 2021 at 8:31 pm

thats aftermarket and phone app stuff, just need car data from porting

• Don Daniels

November 22, 2021 at 9:31 am

I would primarily like HUD night vision or IR for spotting deer and elk in the road, though with this curved body they may just go over the top rather than through the windshield. Speed limit / actual speed is very handy also. Wonder if we can program the adaptive cruise control to maintain posted speed (+5) or appropriate following distance whichever is slower.

• Don Daniels

December 6, 2021 at 8:55 am

A small screen on the dash straight ahead (ala old speedometers) would work as well as a HUD, and having anything shining on the interior of the windshield is distracting and epreduces your outside visibility. I would prefer a screen in the dash to a HUD.

• John Malcom

October 27, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Heated seats, steering wheel, cup holders are in. Manual adjusted seats only. No power adjusted steering wheel. No 1000W inverter. The rest unknown until we get a complete features list from Aptera.

Many of these things can be third party it looks like.

October 27, 2021 at 8:12 pm

o

• Philip Raymond

October 27, 2021 at 8:32 pm

A horn.

• Morris Wilder

October 28, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Definitely one of the more engaging conversations my Aptera family. I’m an early and late reservation holder. I wonder how different they will be🤔

• John Malcom

October 28, 2021 at 7:52 pm

An interesting question. You will have to let us all know after the delivery of the second one

• Tom Friend

October 29, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Separate switches for seat/back on the seat heaters.

Android Auto

Type C USB charge connection with 15+W charge current

• Curtis Cibinel

October 29, 2021 at 1:16 pm

I would love to see a usb C charge plug that also serves as hdmi in when parked using the infotainment screen. This would give endless options for content when fast charging without expensive software dev (ie coding a Aptera netflix app). Definitely not a must have but certainly nice without being insanely complex/expensive. If they do use the usb interface linked to the i.MX 8QM control board then I have no idea of the wattage capability (not listed in the specs).

FYI: The crank software case study lists the family of board used by Aptera and if we assume it has bluetooth we are down to 2 options. Oddly they (Crank) state its a quad core despite being either 5 (1x a72, 4x a53) or 6 core (2x a72, 4x a53) in the versions listed publicly. This is either to say they use an unlisted variant or it was a typo in the case study as the marketing person at Crank might have assumed from the “quad” in the product name (this is really easy to have happen).

https://www.toradex.com/computer-on-modules/apalis-arm-family/nxp-imx-8

• John Malcom

October 29, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Wow, you are so excited about this. Hope you don’t have a heart condition🙁

Kidding aside, I agree the greatest probability is typing error on the part of the marketing person drafting the collateral. Using something that is not COTS is not inline with Apera’s sourcing philosophy.

I take it from your enthusiasm, that the “Board” news is good from your perspective? A good choice? Why? Is there going to be a chip problem with it? Support versatile programming? Not some off the wall language being used?

Now can you de-engineer this for us so we can appreciate what might be possible with this for us?

• Curtis Cibinel

October 30, 2021 at 8:11 am

The big thing with the board is supply chain flexibility. It uses linux/arm processors so swapping hardware to alleviate supply chain issues should be little more than a pin interface riser, compile and validation. Screens cameras and batteries should also be possible to swap if supply chain issues occur since multiple sources should meet the specs ; interfaces are standard. Elaphe is the tightest integrated supplier and alternatives like Protean are possible if they failed as a company or couldn’t deliver but it would probably take 6 months or more.

Ps: ya I’ll admit I push the hdmi in feature a little much 🤣. As a software developer I love the idea of having every possible option without writing new software at all. The best part is no part but a mountain of software is still a part (just a very cheap one to produce after very costly initial engineering)

• John Malcom

October 29, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Tom,

Sorry, no Android Auto. Also, I am not sure if you know, Android Auto will no longer be supported. Apparently, they are going to imbed a version of Android Auto directly into vehicle software.

USB interface for sure. don’t know what kind but “C” would make sense. Note Curtis’s post below in this thread.

• Paul Schultz

October 30, 2021 at 7:41 am

John, I think you are crossing two separate Google automotive products.

Android Automotive is the infotainment UI/UX replacement to the OEM software. This is embedded in the vehicle. No cell phone needed. Several manufacturers have committed to using Android Automotive.

Android Auto is the product that runs on the user’s cell phone. It is being replaced by Google Assistant. The look/feel of Goggle Assistant on the Infotainment screen will be very Android Auto-like. Google is stopping the option to use the Android Auto app on phone screens directly. So, mounting a phone and running AA in a vehicle without an AA-compatible head unit or infotainment center will no longer be possible. While AA still exists it is not a separate app as of Android 10… or maybe 11. It is now part of the Android OS on modern Android cell phones. Soon, AA will be deprecated and Google Assistant will be the phone-based option.

• John Malcom

October 30, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Absolutely right Paul. I apologies for my error

• Don Daniels

December 6, 2021 at 8:58 am

I would like to see both a type B and a Type C port and possibly a wireless pad for the phone.

• Benjamin Dreidel

October 30, 2021 at 4:48 am

I want to be able to limit how high I want SoC on the battery to go so I can maximize battery life. I want to be able to tell the vehicle to start warming up the interior and battery from my phone (for a cold drive.)

Lots of previous suggestions are great as well!

• kerbe2705

October 30, 2021 at 8:19 am

These are pretty much standard on every EV on the market – and on a lot of PHEV’s, as well. I doubt that Aptera won’t have them.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 31, 2021 at 11:39 am

Blaze Studios is a small youtube channel and made a concept video for what the companion app could look like / include. He clearly put in a ton of work. Obviously totally unofficial hope our community can show this superfan some support. If Aptera hasnt started substantial work on a companion app they should hire this guy.

• Oz Man

October 30, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Small item, not sure if it’s been mentioned. Would like to see the visors have an extendable slat, or as others I’ve had, be able to slide out on its mounting arm, to block that little bit of light, that’s always in your eyes.

• Janpim Little

October 30, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Being a short person with short arms, i am praying that it will not be too difficult to close the doors.
    Any chance for an automatic door closer?

• Gabe Kemeny

October 30, 2021 at 4:19 pm

Very unlikely. Just put on a longer strap to the door which you can reach.

• Fanfare 100

October 31, 2021 at 8:43 pm

Imagine if the centre arm console were to be made just a tad wider and then when you lifted it up it would turn into a smaller centre 3rd seat?

• Rick McKnight

November 4, 2021 at 12:50 am

Aptera’s SafetyPilot sounds like a good start, but I’m hoping that by default, the Aptera includes all the necessary components to allow a 3rd party ADAS to be installed, such as the comma 3 (https://comma.ai/)

• Carl Ferreira

November 18, 2021 at 8:44 pm

I just saw a YouTube video comparing Lucid to Tesla and it got me thinking.

Tesla has gone for the ultra-minimalist model, removing control stalks from the steering column, having a minimum number of controls on the steering wheel and basically moving absolutely everything to a center screen. By comparison, Lucid has a beautiful ‘floating glass’ forward display that feels familiar to most drivers with primary information, such as speed, gear, trip-tick, etc. in front of the driver. Plus, they include information and touch buttons on a forward driver panel that puts everything in the driver’s immediate view. They also have physical controls that perform normal functions such as turn signals, headlight control, horn, etc. They have a center console that allows for expanded and passenger control, but it is an auxiliary system, not a primary control, except for cabin environment control.

As the video put it, Tesla has effectively turned the car into a gigantic smart phone on wheels that requires the driver to continually take their attention from the road to perform the simplest operations. From what I’ve seen, it appears that Aptera is following Tesla’s lead here and I believe this to be a grave error. Part of their core belief of efficiency should be to provide control and feedback to the driver in the most natural, expected, and safest way possible, i.e., keeping the driver’s attention on the road where it belongs. I urge the development team to take a look at the Lucid paradigm and adopt these principles to create a driving environment that is as efficient as the rest of the vehicle.

• John Trotter

November 18, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Tesla took the simplified approach to save money. All those extra buttons, knobs, switches, and screens cost money in design, manufacture, warranty, and maintenance. They can not be fixed or improved with over-the-air updates. After a year driving with the screen-as-almost-everything, I have become a believer, especially when I think of how we need to keep Aptera costs low.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 18, 2021 at 10:25 pm

The ugly is they also used the same storage and performance went way down on that “smartphone” over time for the very expensive model s and model x. They really should be recalling that infotainment system especially given these are the people that funded model 3 ramp. If you use phone parts you better pay attention to how thing wear because 3 years as the life of a car is not ok.

• Steven G. Bueche

November 19, 2021 at 5:20 am

Carl, I just got a 21 Model 3 (Sept) and it still has the two wheel adjustments and stalks for turn signals, Autopilot, Gear change etc. I agree it’s a smart phone on wheels and could use an improvement that I’d like to see on all Ev’s: A center (in front of the steering wheel) screen at least showing the speed. With it on the big screen I find it inconvenient to look over to the center of the car for information. I had to set an alarm to chime when I go over the speed limit. There not much to relate to in order to ‘feel’ the speed. Most of the other things listed here are nice but I myself wouldn’t use them much. The same goes for the gadgets included in my Tesla.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 18, 2021 at 10:27 pm

I myself am not a very tech person and I will miss the knobs, but will learn to adjust. One thing, it should be a lot easier to clean!

• George Hughes

November 23, 2021 at 2:16 pm

the new Genesis EV has three things I like of which, at least one, involves the ‘interior’ directly.

The article introducing the new model in Greencarreports pointed to three things I though cool enough and adaptable enough to warrant discussion.

The interior option was wide spectrum noise cancellation for the cockpit. As it is tuned to remove road noise without affecting other sounds, it seems an interesting addition … assuming the Aptera is not just normally quieter because the two front wheels are literally detached from the cabin. (If the base 2WD Aptera is noticeably quieter than the all wheel drive model, this option could bring them back to parity.)

The other two noteworthy additions is the ability to power or not power either the front or rear wheel motors is apparently offered and adaptive suspension.

It could be that you could get 12m/kwh on the highway at a steady speed with only the rear wheel motor or, alternately, have a switch that is maybe labeled ‘Turbo’ that powers the rear wheel motor that you could switch on ‘anytime’.

As far as the active suspension, I’m thinking that this could also be introduced as a ‘rear-wheel-only’ option for the Aptera. This option would eliminate all concern about not being able to miss a pothole and possibly transform the ride to world class in terms of comfort. Really, do think how an active suspension system that anticipates road irregularities located on the trailing end of a ‘triangle’ with the passenger compartment somewhat isolated from the wide front suspension would react. As it would naturally incorporate load leveling, it may well provide a significant increase in capacity.

• John Malcom

November 23, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Some good things to be considered for the next iteration of the Aptera.

• Fran Giroux

November 26, 2021 at 5:44 pm

I would like to see a receptacle to plug in a few extra solar panels attached to my house or yard.

I would also like to see an inverter and 110 volt receptacle for emergency power to run my fridge and furnace when my power goes out.

It would be a waste to have a good size battery sitting in my driveway without these two features to enable me to make better use of that battery.

• Elzo Stubbe

November 27, 2021 at 5:00 am

I would like to see wings so I can fly away…….

• Janpim Little

November 27, 2021 at 5:48 am

For me? I would like absolutely nothing else to creep into the scope of the Aptera right now. Speed to market is most important. Please start the production!!

Other options can be added later after we have flooded the market with a very compact, cost efficient first model.

If powering one’s house with an automobile is most important, then look at buying an F-150 Lightning..

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 2:04 pm

👍
      👍

Viewing 1 - 25 of 29 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now