Water: will it prevent electrons from flowing?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Water: will it prevent electrons from flowing?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Water: will it prevent electrons from flowing?

• Water: will it prevent electrons from flowing?

kerbe2705 updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 7 Members · 9 Posts
  • Blake Kottwitz

October 22, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Will a wet charger male and/or female part prevent charging.

If yes, can we have a back up solution… say a 1(0) or 2(0) watt fan that kicks on to air out any water that maybe present.

If that’s not practical.. a good sized aerodynamic slit to let water roll out with the gravity or wind pressure?

Oh, and if someone happens to be home with a wet male connector.. will a hair blow dryer be a good way to dry it out fast?

Anywho, just trying to think of ways to help…

• Llewellyn Evans

October 22, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Use the same caution as with any electrical appliance. I plug in my electric car to charge in all weather and it works just fine.

• Charles Kaneb

October 22, 2021 at 9:52 pm

It doesn’t on other EVs. There’s an O-ring in the charger that seals the outside from the inside once connected, and resistance is checked before charging is started.

• kerbe2705

October 22, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Most home Level 2 EVSEs have built-in or wall-mounted holsters to hold and protect the J1772 connector: What you’re describing isn’t really an issue.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 23, 2021 at 10:38 am

I think their are some potential points when charging with level 1 with a big extension cord from the garage (likely more common than residential level 2 for Aptera). The charge door when open and adapter needs to be correctly designed (which id expect) and chaining extension cords isn’t great. For outdoor charging it would be best to have a large gauge well made extension cord. Don’t charge an ev with a piece of junk 16 gauge cord from walmart.

• Joshua Rosen

October 23, 2021 at 6:57 am

EVSEs are waterproof and they have built in protections against any sort of mishap, in fact their whole purpose is to act as a fancy circuit breaker, the charger is in the car not the EVSE. You will want to get a good one, I have a ClipperCreek and a Tesla. Obviously you should only buy a UL listed and outdoor rated EVSE but as long as you do then no worries.

• Spenser Pousette

November 16, 2021 at 8:12 am

I thought these only had normal plug in to charge. We can add actual Rc battery charges for faster charge? While I’m asking questions , windshield wipers?

• Joshua Rosen

November 16, 2021 at 10:21 am

It will have a J1772 + CCS1 connector

• kerbe2705

November 16, 2021 at 11:20 am

Yes, Aptera will have windshield wipers. And air conditioning. And heat. And some form of airbags. And the lower half of the door windows will roll up and down. Remember that the three vehicles you’ve seen are just prototypes – they’re nowhere near the final product.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now