Visibility?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Visibility?

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Visibility?

• Visibility?

George Hughes updated 1 month ago 11 Members · 20 Posts
  • Ryan Dowd

August 12, 2021 at 10:37 am

Am I seeing this correctly- If you choose the rear panel solar option, you lose visibility from the rear of the car? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding. Thank you.

• Christopher May

August 12, 2021 at 10:45 am

As far as I know, that’s correct. However, the ‘rear view mirror’ is actually a camera view of what’s behind you.

• Dennis McCall McCall

August 12, 2021 at 10:46 am

Indeed, with rear solar, the rear window is obscured. the vehicle is planned with a rear view camera, IIRC for all variations, I’m not sure I recall if they plan a standard interior mirror at all

• Ryan Dowd

August 12, 2021 at 11:05 am

Thanks, Dennis…what are your thoughts on not having a rear window?

• Dennis McCall McCall

August 12, 2021 at 11:20 am

I’m in for a Paradigm Plus which has the full solar. I’ve had several vehicles with back up cameras. Some were so so. My current 2016 MPV camera and display are amazing, and I can see better with it when reversing than I can by looking back physically, where the pillars block portions of the view. I expect Aptera to be using top quality items, so I’m not worried at this time. I would hope that no one would make a final decision on a purchase without actually sitting in and test driving one, because you never really know it it’s right for you until you’ve done that. (I mean you can have a fairly good idea, but as they say, “The proof is in the pudding.”) Additionally it has been mentioned that with the aerodynamic shape of the vehicle, during poor weather, you would likely not have a problem with lens blockage. (Something that will come out with the testing.)

• Michael May

August 12, 2021 at 2:46 pm

I’ll chime in with my two bits as well. I’ve ordered full solar. I initially had the same qualms, but then had two thoughts that convinced me to do it. I’d like whatever I have in the back to not be visible, and not having glass there will help to keep the interior cooler. Done deal for me.

• Dennis McCall McCall

August 12, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Both good points. There is some uncertainty as to whether the solar will be placed directly on the glass, or if a lighter stronger material will replace that.

• kerbe2705

August 12, 2021 at 7:55 pm

No uncertainty about it – in one of the webinars they stated that the rear hatch solar cells would be mounted beneath the glass: The same hatch would be used for all models.

• Dennis McCall McCall

August 12, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Ryan, I stand corrected. (I will still wait for them to get to the Gamma models before I’m sure of how anything will be finalized though.)

• George Hughes

August 12, 2021 at 11:18 am

The Aptera setup includes at least three rear-view cameras and at least one forward view camera for the level 2 autonomous operation.

Personally, the majority of the time I’m fast enough on my takeoff from a stoplight that there is plenty of room to change lanes as the next fastest car is far behind. And at present I’m driving Spark EV which featured the top acceleration among the compliance cars.

The Aptera is a supercar by comparison and I expect it will be easier to set the pace on any bit of highway.

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 12, 2021 at 12:55 pm

I too am concerned about this visibility issue and will not make any decision on this until I have put my butt in the seat of both with and without full solar. I have mentioned before that if they would install a port for alternative charging in or near the rear deck then I would prefer to see out the back and have a small roll-up solar panel sitting on the deck. There are other things I have not made up my mind about too. I will delay many decisions until we have more answers and can view all models in person.

• John Malcom

August 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm

I have driven commercial vehicles, campers, and conversion vans with no direct visibility out the back without any problem for decades. These vehicles also did no have the tech available with the Aptera for visibility around and behind the vehicle. Only my opinion of course, but what is provided with the Aptera is an order of magnitude safer and more convenient than legacy approaches to viewing behind the vehicle. Remember, the Federal Government now requires backup cameras on all new vehicles because of the improved safety they provide.

• John Malcom

August 12, 2021 at 9:19 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood your concern. My apologies. I am glad we all have different perspectives on Aptera design! I know there is one thing we can all agree on, we will enjoy the Aptera in what ever configuration we decide on.

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 12, 2021 at 6:28 pm

To John Malcom

For me it is not so much a safety issue, just personal preference. I totally trust the mirrors and want them, but I also like seeing outside and letting the sun shine in (when it isn’t 100 degrees). I drove a VW camper and the visibility out the back was nil. Didn’t feel unsafe just a little claustrophobic. By the same token I kind of like the idea that with full solar people can’t see what I am hauling around as easily, so I just don’t know which way I might go.

• Henry Kitt

August 12, 2021 at 9:05 pm

The solar over the rear glass looks much better. That is a huge piece of glass that looks a bit weird with nothing on it. Visibility should be better with cameras, it’s a more direct view behind the car. With mirrors your view is from a further distance, plus with a wide angle lens you get a broad unobstructed viewing angle. Add on to that the 2 side view cameras. Then the increased privacy and additional miles a day of charge. Full solar please!

• Noah Blumenthal

August 13, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I’m all for the full solar. My wife gets claustrophobic. Also our current vehicle has a pretty massive sunroof. The light gives a wonderful, airy, spacious feel. So we will wait and sit inside to decide. Either way, giddy with anticipation.

• George Hughes

August 16, 2021 at 1:03 am

Got your ‘giddy’ about the Aptera. I didn’t choose the solar option because I’ve got a L2 EVSE on the old pump house. Got some canopy carports, not because I’m trying to protect the cars, I just don’t like getting in and out of a car in the rain.

• Pistonboy

August 13, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I suggest clicking on “Reserve Now” at the top of the page as if you are going to reserve a vehicle and look at the solar cell options. The rear hatch solar cell lay out appears to be much larger than the window. I was always under the impression the rear hatch would be solid composite and no glass would be present. Neither the Noir nor Sol have solar hatch option. Perhaps the Luna model will have the hatch solar option and we can see an example.

Also, the solar cell chevrons on the tail are shown as being part of the solar hatch option. However the Sol model they have built has these chevrons although it does not have the solar hatch option.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now